Water pressure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have just fitted a new mixer tap in my en-suite and the pressure is low for hot only, cold only and mixed. I have a gravity fed system and assume the cold is supplied from the loft as it does not seem to be at the same pressure as the kitchen sink cold.

My tap is shown here:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....0&_trksid=m37&satitle=300090669583&fvi=1[url]

Any ideas? Would the flexi hoses affect it? javascript:emoticon(':cry:')
Crying or Very sad

Thanks

LJ[/url] :cry:

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
If you read the specifications you will see that it requires 1 bar of water pressure.
I doubt you have that on your gravity ystem.

The cold in the kitchen is from the mains so will be much higher pressure.

Check that the flexi's aren't bent.

Ask the manufacturer if there is alow pressure conversion kit - but I doubt that very much.

The adverts says "Minimum 1 barr water pressure required"

Is your loft tank 10 metres higher than your bathroom (aprox 33 feet)?

I will guess not.

You would have done better with a simple British tap with bigger waterways and 15mm tails.

edited: baah, too slow :(

I am an Electrician by trade i.e. stupid sparky. This plumbing business seemed easy, water flows downhill and all that.

I live and learn! Any ideas of a similar tap that would do the job?

What kind of pressure should I be looking at for an en-suite under the tank in the loft above?

Many thanks for your help.

LJ

Sponsored Links
10 metres is 1 bar (=voltage)

You have a high-resistance tap

Single pillar taps with 1/2" tails usually give best flow (or 3/4" as used on baths).

Flexi hoses have reduced bore (= greater resistance) and rotating service valves (even smaller bore)

You can get mixer taps, which will usually give lower flow, but if they have small tails on (some are 8mm) you can rely on poor flow.

Generally, imported taps (especialy Italian or American) will give poor flow, especially on tank-fed supplies as they are intended for use on pressures which are higher than UK water mains (try an American shower!)

I am annoyed with myself for getting the wrong tap!

Thanks very much for all your help!

Cheers

LJ :D :cry:

If you were ther first to do this we would laugh.. but you're not so don't worry.

For £29 thats not bad, so you could sell it on and make a bit back... Might even pay for the real deal.

Remember all that's on eBay is seldom gold. Even if its says "gold".

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back