water pumping into the overflow

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When i moved in my new house. All of the radiators had a temprature valve on them and water used to bang like hell up the pipes and into the overflow system. I have removed one of the radiators and replace it with one with no temprature valve on it so the water could return round one of them hoping this would sort the problem out and it has not worked. I have replaced the thermostat on the water tank and the synchron motor. I do not have a wall thermostat. I have drained the whole system when i put a new radiator in and bleed all of the radiators. Does anyone know why water should be banging and going to the overflow tank.

Sponsored Links
what's the distance between the pump and the water level in the f & e cistern and also the f & e cistern and the highest point, ie the primary return to the hot water cylinder.

also does the vent pipe have 450mm min of dry head?

Sponsored Links
The pump in the aring cupboard works fine. I can hear it pumping water.

It sounds to me like the water is boiling somewhere in the airing cupboard. I hear alot of are and water going throught the pipes.

may be boiler stat at fault esp if getting excessively hot

Ok. On the hot water tank, there is a stst and the water in there never seems to reach the temprature that it is set to although we have always got hot water.

Now for the boiler. This morning i got up and it has over heated. I turned it on, got out the manual and this is how it goes.
Start - Does pump run YES. Does fan run NO. Is lockout light on CANT SEE ONE. Is fan light on YES.
Now since i see no lockout light what so ever, the manual gives me 2 choices. Replace the thermostat or replace the fan. Only the fan and everything else does run for a while before overheating again. So i need a new thermostat right ?

Also, what if i change the stat and it keeps happening ?

Not the stat, but the other thing i can`t think of off hand that clips onto one of the pipes on the boiler. I took that off, cleaned it. Pulged it back in again and i have not had a problem all day and all evening.
I have had a problem with the heating for about a year and now it seems to all be working fine would you believe it.

I GOT A PLUMBER COMING ROUND TO LOOK AT IN THE MORNING !!

Would you believe it... Oh well better to be safe than sorry i suppose. Atleast he can check it all over anyway just incase.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back