Water softener next to gas meter?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking for somewhere to put a water softener. It uses a 240 to 12V power adaptor.
I'd like to have a fair idea of where it's going before getting the plumber round to quote for the install.

The best place would be in front of the gas meter under the stairs. The spot if just big enough to get it in there in front of the gas meter. The softener could be easily pulled out of there as it will be on flexi hoses if any work needs to be done on the meter in the future.

The main water stop tap is there, but there's no electric plug socket to plug it in.

So is it allowed to put it next to the gas meter, and get a new plug socket installed there too for the power adaptor?

Sponsored Links
1. I can't give you a definitive answer on the gas / electrics question. There is a minimum separation, and I think its 25 mm, but not sure.
2. The softener, when full, weighs a lot. They are not easy to move when full. I doubt a meter reader would be prepared to move your water softener.
3. Also think about filling with salt. A 25kG bag is not the easiest thing to handle in a confined space.
4. A key issue is probably the location of the water pipes. You need the incoming mains, the output from the water softener, and another pipe for unsoftened water to the kitchen sink / outside tap. Plus the waste run and an overflow run.

Thanks for replying. The water stop tap is next to the gas meter, so that's the water in/out already in the correct place. The garden tap is connected to via a 'T' directly under the stop tap, so that's in the right place, and the washing machine plumbing and drain is 2m away, so the drains and overflow are also ideally situated.
There's a pipe that goes from the stop tap to the kitchen sink, so that's the drinking water pipe in the correct location too.

Under the stairs would be the perfect location as everything is there already. The gas meter can still be read with the softener in place as you can see round the back of it without it needing to be moved, and the door is high and wide enough to be able to get to it to fill up again etc.

It's just a case of is a 12V electrical appliance allowed next to a gas meter? and is an electrical socket allowed in there too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back