Water Softener / water pressure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The low pressure indicator has started to activate on my electric shower meaning that I can only operate it on the reduced power setting. I also noticed that pressure at the kitchen tap seemed to be down a little, though still fine for normal working. I had thought that this was a Summer pressure issue, though now that Summer is well behind us, the problem as persisted.

I started to think about this & realised that whilst I had detected a drop in pressure on the main kitchen tap, the hard water tap (which doesn't run through the softener) did not appear to show reduced pressure.

I tried running the kitchen tap then opening the softeners by-pass tap - there was an immediate & obvious increase in flow rate. I have also now tried operating the shower with the by-pass open so that it operates on hard water - it works fine.

Clearly the issue is the water softener. I know that these do reduce pressure a bit anyway but as I never had cause to conduct the above test before, I don't know what kind of difference might have been evident before.

I have a Kinetico non-electric which I have had for 10 years. I tested it today & it is still producing soft water. I took of the inlet & outlet hoses to ensure that there were no blockages - all clear. I am not aware of any other filters etc.. though there is clearly a valve system that measures the flow of water & switches from cylinder to cylinder when required.

Any ideas? Is there something else that I can clean or check as a diy job? :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back