Water softeners v. water conditioners

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Being sick of having to clean an awful hard water inspired orange bloom from shower, I've decided to treat the water supply.

I thought that this would be straightforward - investigate water softeners and choose / install one. Then I started seeing articles suggesting that water conditioners (which are far cheaper / less hassle to install / zero maintenance) can produce results on a par with their more expensive alternatives.

Can anyone provide any views on the two options and which one they've opted for?

Cheers,
Mike.

Sponsored Links
a proper water softener using salt will soften the water properly, a water conditioner will only do it temporarily so you would need to fit it as close as possible to your shower head to do any good.

I use a proper water softener with a resin inside, that you top up with salt to recycle the resin. Works really well. No scale; no soap scum, no dull lifeless hair or hard scratchy towels; use less soap, washing powder etc.

The people who sell magic magnets usually offer a money back guarantee, and rely on most of their customers not taking their magnets back when they don't work.

Some people say that magic magnets work; but then some people say that a copper bracelet eases arthritis.

p.s. also see //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=93804 and go to page 34 of the report.

also //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=615460#615460

let me know if you want to buy a piece of magic string.

The only way to do itproperly and guarantee results for the whole house supply is to fit a water softener

Sponsored Links
....thanks, guys - I think I know what to do next!

Cheers,
Mike.

just dont forget to make sure the water softener does not fill your CH

rads dont like salty water they dont

:)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back