water splash marks on newly painted plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently painted the new plastered walls in my home but unknown to me i should have rubbed the water splash marks from the wall first, (amazing how many people tell you after) now i am left with patches that wont cover with paint, i have rubbed these down now but every coat i add just leaves these almost bare patches, i am at my wits end and any help would be gratefully accepted!!!

Sponsored Links
Thse sound like 'fatty deposits ' A result usually of overtrowling, or whatever bonding the plasterer used.. Traditional way is to thin with white spirit a little solvent based undercoat, dab onto the patches and feather out so not to make thick edges. allow to dry. Dont apply too heavy all we need here is a barrier between the bare plaster fat/ and the emulsion. ( you might ned to coat up the spots with emulsion twice before overcoating all again.

good luck..

Could be PVA where he's splashed it around when preparing to skim the adjacent wall; if so, it will cover eventually, you just need to let the intial coats dry thoroughly befeore overcoating.

Sponsored Links
Many thanks for the advice, i will try the method you suggest, again thanks for taking time to make these replies.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back