Water Supply Pipe Replacement Options

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone comment on my options for a replacement water supply pipe?

The intention is to fully replace the existing supply pipe, which is assumed to be the original steel or lead supply pipe, either as a new replacement water supply (approx £500-£1500 for ££ water) or under the lead replacement scheme (at no cost I understand).

Given the age of the property, and previous ground cover that suggested no ground work had been done for over 40 years I was surprised to see blue MPDE.

I have blue MPDE pipe from the external stop valve joined to the original water supply (steel, lead?) pipe (encrusted in something which I am not going to risk exposing).

So do I have an option to join new MPDE with the existing? If so avoiding the water supplier doing any work and that cost?

But I understand that a continuous supply pipe may be required from the external stop valve to the internal stop valve, so no joins are allowed (they state in guides) but not convinced it is required (just guidance that suits them maybe!!) and where there is a join an inspection chamber is needed.

There are already joins into the external stop valve, as well as this join. The water supplier did complete work last year to replace the external stop value - any chance they somehow they connected the blue MPDE then? I would be amazed!!

Blue MPDE into steel/lead supply pipe (encrusted in concrete maybe as going under foundations)

water-supply-detail.png

external stop value

external-stop-valve.png

Sponsored Links
I would renew from the boundary stopcock to the internal stopcock in mdpe.

I would renew from the boundary stopcock to the internal stopcock in mdpe.
Any options without involving the water supplier working on their boundary stopcock?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back