Leak from water supply pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I have a mid-60s built bungalow that has a leak in the external water supply pipe (between the stop-cock & house). There is black plastic pipe running from the external stop-cock which is about 21mm diameter as best as I can tell, it joins to a 17mm black plastic pipe with a a brass compression fitting. Its the smaller of the pipes that is leaking just before it goes into this compression fitting. Once inside the house the pipe is back to 21mm again so presumably there is another underground joint that I have not uncovered yet.

Ive had a look on screwfix & the blue MDPE pipe & fittings are in 20mm & 25mm Im not sure what's compatible with what. Id like to replace the piece of 17mm pipe as presumably the other joint may fail as well, but what's the best thing for me to do? :confused:

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You`ll have to wait till Monday and get some Plasson or Philmac couplings for the larger black plastic to adapt to some 20mm Blue (MDPE). All cheap as Chips from Drain Center or PTS etc. :idea: That 17mm is horrible stuff and wants leaving buried :eek: The 21mm is probably Class D Alkathene ...might be written on pipe in green letters. Are you on a meter? If so turn it off @ night at stopcock in pavement . Otherwise don`t worry about the water loss for 1 day ;)

Sponsored Links
that sounds like 1/2" alkathene,

as NigeF said, i would head down to plumb center and get some philmac or polypipe fittings and buy both Class C and D inserts, they are a quid max and you don't want to be rushing back with water squirting all over your drive!

Out of the two i would recommend the philmac over the polypipe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back