Water Supply pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm having some extensive works going on and need some advice on the water supply pipe. My house was built circa 1930 and sits some 70 feet away from the outside pavement and is on a gradient. We have always had problems with water pressure and Severn Trent have been out in the past and say the pressure is fine.

I thought as part of the improvements I would replace the water supply pipe on my property side. I understand there are 2 sizes available 25mm and 32mm, am I right in thinking that the 32mm would be the better bet as it carries more water?

This may seem like a pretty stupid question but i want to make sure I know what I'm talking about when I speak to the builder.

Sponsored Links
Putting larger pipe in will not improve the pressure.

Domestic properties are normally supplies with 20mm, 25mm or sometimes 32mm.

Increase it to 32mm MDPE pipe and make sure to put it in a sleeve so if there is ever a problem at least you can pull it out and replace

Alot of people get confused with pressure and water flow I think you have a problem with flow more so then pressure itself and this will help to increase the volume of water to your stopcock

Good luck

Increasing the pipe size will make no difference at all to the STATIC pressure, but it should improve the residual pressure when water is flowing, or the flow rate for the same pressure drop.

If the existing pipe is 1/2" iron or lead, with 80 years worth of rust, limescale, dings and dents in it, then almost anything will be an improvement.

Expectations have changed over the years. The original pipe was (and probably still is) adequate for filling a kettle at the kitchen sink and keeping the cold storage cistern for a gravity hot water system supplying a single bathroom topped up, but these days the average household may have a plethora of kitchen and laundry appliances and multiple bathrooms, each with several outlets, all requiring a free-flowing mains pressure water feed to them.

Sponsored Links
Appreciate the replies and I've learnt its not the pressure, its the flow rate that's the problem .

:D

This leads me onto another issue,which I'll make a separate post for.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back