Conversion from 2 to 5 flats - water connection(s)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All,

Currently the house has 2 large flats and an existing 32mm lead water connection. The plan is to divide into 5 smaller flats (4 x 1 bed, 1 shower and 1 x 3 bed, 1 shower).

Recently, Severn Trent were out to replace the stop cock as it was faulty and asking the workmen, their view was that the existing connection is ample, in addition, Severn Trent seem to want several thousands for 3 further water connections.

The existing 32mm seems to reduce down to 15mm copper where the internal stop cock is. I have put a pressure gauge on and measured a static pressure of 3.5 - 3.8 bar.

Therefore, I was thinking to first try using the existing connection by leaving a bit of the lead pipe from the stop cock, cutting and joining/replacing the rest with 32mm MDPE, then using a manifold to branch off 5 x 25mm connections.

Thoughts?

Sponsored Links
My thoughts are, who is going to pay the water rates? What about the infrastructure charges?

As far as I am aware, five separate dwellings have five council tax bills and five separate water bills!

Tony

simond,

Severn Trent have already confirmed it's fine to do this from their perspective. Just as the current connection is split between the 2 existing flats, they are charged on a rateable value. Any further dwellings would be on an assessed charge or water meter.

Tony,

There is no issue with separate bills - they will be separate dwellings and be classified as such.

The question is whether it is technically/realistically viable to utilise the existing water connection. If I can, it saves the costly installation of 3 further separate connections.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
The manifold should be as close to the street as possible to lessen the interaction between different flats.

Tony

Hello All,

Currently the house has 2 large flats and an existing lead

Thoughts?
Don't tell them it's lead pipe - and if it's 1.1/4 inch O.D carrying mains pressure it's going to have a thick wall :notworthy:

If it is lead then the water company may decide replace it free of charge as part of the lead removal program. Some water companies will replace a lead service pipe as a matter of course and as soon as possible after they are made aware of it being lead. If they do decide to replace the existing lead with plastic at no cost to you then tea and choccy biscuits might get you a larger diameter supply or best option of five separate supplies. ( If the water company like to have people metered then it is in their interests to have 5 supplies with individual meters ).

If it is lead then the water company may decide replace it free of charge as part of the lead removal program. Some water companies will replace a lead service pipe as a matter of course and as soon as possible after they are made aware of it being lead. If they do decide to replace the existing lead with plastic at no cost to you then tea and choccy biscuits might get you a larger diameter supply or best option of five separate supplies. ( If the water company like to have people metered then it is in their interests to have 5 supplies with individual meters ).

Severn Trent state that if it is lead (which I've seen it is), they will replace the existing 32mm for the 2 flats to 2 individual connections (likely to be smaller than 32mm). So there's no point going down this road unless I have individual connections to each of the flats.

Lead pipe is classified on the internal bore in inches! So yours might be about 1" internal. You have not clarified the size in spite of useful comments about this.

They would probably fit 25 mm blue plastic.

Plastic pipe has a lower flow resistance because of the very smooth inside walls.

If done that way then I would expect the flow rate might well be higher.

I would however connect both of the new pipes together at the manifolds so they will better share the flow.

Usually they mole these in but if it was an open trench then I would lay three further 25 mm pipes in case of future developments. The cost of digging is way higher than a bit of plastic.

Tony

Lead pipe used to be specified in weight per lb per foot, as Agile said it's going to be 1" - I would think less to resist mains pressure. I meant don't tell the people who are going to live in the flats. People are wary of lead and asbestos too

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back