New water mains pipe! time to start digging. Questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
severn trent said to us they will arrange a new mains. we have a lead/shared mains.

1) when i am digging for the pipe- should i just follow the existing lead pipe? or should i try and avoid it or dig side by side. im worried when we dig we might hit lead pipe.

2)what size mdpe pipe should i get?

3)should i use a thick plastic pipe or sand to cover mdpe pipe?

4) what length should i keep hanging on each end of the mdpe pipe?

5) is it safe to leave the the mdpe pipe hanging out waiting up to 6 weeks for severn trent to link pipe to mains? any advice on this? dont want it getting vandelled.

6) i am arranging a new boiler (vented cylinder) can this be installed be severn trent hook up pipe?

7) we have to dig through mainly soil rather than concrete - what tools would you use to dig.

8) any other tips?

Sponsored Links
1) Dig in the most convenient location for laying new pipe with consideration to where you want it to enter the house. If that's the same route as the current lead, so be it - just be careful when you reach it.

2) Having read your other thread, 32mm.

3) Lay it on a bed of sand. Pipe-in-pipe is not necessary - save for the duct which brings it into the house.

4) Enough, and then an extra metre for good measure. Pipe is cheap and you'll likely have a lot left over. Give yourself options just in case!

5) It'll be fine. Cap the end.

6) Assuming you mean 'before', and by 'boiler' you mean 'hot water cylinder', yes. Just get your fitter to replace any 15mm pipe which carries mains cold water with 22mm and you'll be reet.

7) A drain spade.

8) Make sure you fit it in accordance with the regs - i.e. to the correct depth, insulated, in duct, etc, etc.

Great, some more questions.

9) should I remove old lead pipe or leave it in.

10) do I need to put sand in before inspected comes? Or only have he inspects it?

11) where should trench end on boundary wall? Should I just do it from straightest line, so in which case it don't matter? Or should I do it where current lead pipe ends?

12) worried when digging, don't want to hit any other services (electricity , gas, phone) any tips to avoid on this

Sponsored Links
9) Leave it in unless you particularly want to take it out. It had some scrap value, but not a huge amount

10) You should lay sand underneath the pipe, and then lay the pipe, before the inspector comes. Pipe trench should be between 750mm and 1350mm deep, in case you didn't know

11) Take it as close as you can to the old connection

12) Dig carefully!

13) Just after would probably be appreciated if it's not going to get an anyone's way

If you are digging in the same place then I would say remove all the lead pipe and give it to a scrap collector or take it to a yard so that it is recycled.

I always like to recycle where possible. I try to collect scrap and give it to any trainees I have who put in a good effort.

I am currently stashing my scrap until the prices improve. Last time we weighed some in, the returns were dire! Never do it running up to Christmas!
I am up to 6 rip outs worth at the moment, with 6 cylinders :D:D

I am currently stashing my scrap until the prices improve. Last time we weighed some in, the returns were dire! Never do it running up to Christmas!
I am up to 6 rip outs worth at the moment, with 6 cylinders :D:D
where do you live ???:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: ( and don't say potters bar ):LOL: hope its locked away especially with a sign written van outside ;)

Who said it was stored where I live or if my van was sign written!
:sneaky:

Actually... It's getting quite difficult to work out of my van with that lot in it :LOL::p

Ok I dug up hole(or some Romanians did it for 100 pound;) now just need to feed pipe. Here are some pics so far.

Some questions however.

-what stop tap should I get, plastic or metal? Link me (eg screw fix)
-what drainer should I get.
-struggling to find duct to feed pipe into house, anyone send a link (using 32mm pipe)

Sorry forgot to attach photos . Here you go.

Severn Trent only allow 25mm Pipe in the replacement scheme .

Is it worth me getting a 32mm? That would mean I have to pay a new application/connection fee? How much are these things usually. Is it even worth it.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    232.9 KB · Views: 169
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    209.2 KB · Views: 161
So what are we looking at here?

You could always get them to make the connection with 25 mm and after they are gone replace the rest with 32 mm!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back