water temperature fluctuation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. Whilst my central heating system is working perfectly fine I have a problem with the hot water from sink and shower. The water turns cold after 1 min or so and then hot again. As you can imagine this is very frustating when trying to have a shower!
I have a Ferroli Modena 102 and I believe its over 10 years old. Is it worth calling out Ferroli (£200+) or should I get another boiler installed?
cheers

Sponsored Links
Your boiler or shower seems to have a fault.

Perhaps not a teribly serious fault. My advice would be to get a competent local independent engineer as thats likely to be the cheapest option.

Your boiler is fairly old and not a very good one but still repairable by a competent engineer but you will be up against the problem of those who will want to replace it as thats a bigger job. You should get someone who will do a No-fix No-fee basis. Ideally someone who does not do installations.

There are several who give advice on here from your area.

Tony

Your boiler or shower seems to have a fault.

Perhaps not a teribly serious fault. My advice would be to get a competent local independent engineer as thats likely to be the cheapest option.

Your boiler is fairly old and not a very good one but still repairable by a competent engineer but you will be up against the problem of those who will want to replace it as thats a bigger job. You should get someone who will do a No-fix No-fee basis. Ideally someone who does not do installations.

There are several who give advice on here from your area.

Tony

I think its the boiler as the sinks and shower both go hot and cold. The boiler also has a habit of churning out hot water and then switching off and then back on again. Its almost as if a thermostat is kicking in and it turns off. I would prefer to get it repaired but unsure of anyone who can do it in the glasgow area. Any ideas?

It may just be a DHW temperature sensor or a partial blockage.

I am surprised that none of the regulars on this site have commented. Perhaps its because your boiler is not seen as a favourits to work on.

You could edit the topic heading to include Glasgow and see if that gives any more interest.

Alternatively call Danny from Rannoch Services, although he might not thank me for suggesting him when its a Ferroli.

Tony

Sponsored Links
It may just be a DHW temperature sensor or a partial blockage.

I am surprised that none of the regulars on this site have commented. Perhaps its because your boiler is not seen as a favourits to work on.

You could edit the topic heading to include Glasgow and see if that gives any more interest.

Alternatively call Danny from Rannoch Services, although he might not thank me for suggesting him when its a Ferroli.

Tony
thanks agile
what are the problem with Ferroli boilers in general? They dont seem to be very popular on this forum? This Ferroli was an existing boiler so had no choice. I had another Vokera fitted new and it seems to be ok so far.

just a quick update. I got sick of the cold water in the shower and I decided to call out one of the companies that deal with Ferroli boilers. It wasnt cheap at £50 for the 1st half hour but they got to the bottom of the problem. It was the Venturi which was faulty and it wasnt letting enough air inside. A replacement Venturi did the trick and it worked fine

HOWEVER

The engineer also serviced the boiler for me and found CO2 levels inside the boiler slightly higher than normal: a reading of 500. Apparently 400 is the safe limit.
How serious is this problem? He was suggesting moving the boiler height down by 1 foot as the flue is sitting below the eves of the house and it should pass right through. Apparently he reckons processed air from the flue is being re circulated inside the boiler again. He quoted a figure of £450 +VAT for moving it. Rather than spending that money on moving it I might as well get another boiler installed?

Any suggestions on this?
cheers

I am sure its CO and not CO² !

Thats the ppm rating and 400 is rather high.

Of course its always been like that so YOU could take the view its not that urgent. I could not because of my position as a professional. I would have been inclined to leave it turned off!

There is a possibility that the flue could be extended.

If you could post a photo showing the flue ourside then I could come to a comclusion!

Why did you not put Glasgow in the title as I suggested?

Tony

I am sure its CO and not CO² !

Thats the ppm rating and 400 is rather high.

Of course its always been like that so YOU could take the view its not that urgent. I could not because of my position as a professional. I would have been inclined to leave it turned off!

There is a possibility that the flue could be extended.

If you could post a photo showing the flue ourside then I could come to a comclusion!

Why did you not put Glasgow in the title as I suggested?

Tony
Thanks for the advice Agile..much appreciated
Well at least the boiler gives out warm water now thats the main thing. I might have saved a bit if I got someone from the forum but I needed it fixed asap. Im pretty sure its CO2 levels and not CO. Surely if there was even a hint of CO i.e. carbon monoxide then the boiler would have been a hazard and immediately decomissioned? He was measuring the levels of gas using some kind of probe meter attached inside the boiler and he said 400 or below is safe. I didnt know there was a safe level for Carbon Monoxide?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back