Water under floorboards - help!

D

DeletedUser

I have a 1930s semi detached house and a few weeks ago found water underneath the floor boards in the living room after a junction box that was sitting on the ground became saturated with water.

The water was pumped out (I wasn’t there at the time but I’m told it was quite a lot) but has since returned numerous times only no one knows, or can tell, where it’s coming from.

I did have someone round that excavated the drain outside which collects the water from the kitchen and guttering and a crack in the clay pipe was found which did seem to be leaking slowly so this was replaced. However the water has continued to come in and the water board have confirmed there is no leak on the service pipe to either my house or my neighbours and no leak on the water mains.

Some years ago there was a kitchen extension built on the back of the house before I brought the property and that room has a concrete floor, the lead service pipe is visible under the floorboards where it enters the house, I can see the old stop tap and from there, where the pipes have been extended into the kitchen which then go to a new stop tap. All the pipes in the kitchen are above ground level, none of which are leaking.

The water is not coming in very quickly but seems to be spreading over the days, the water is clear and still and there’s no noise to indicate where it’s coming from and neither are there any damp patches around the house. I can also see the walls underneath the floorboards and they are dry, it’s almost as though the water is rising from the ground.

I’ve attached some photos and on Saturday I also placed some fluorescent dye down the outside drain and then left the water hose running for a good hour but so far there has been no change in the colour of the water under the floor boards and it hasn’t risen a great deal.

I’m eager to get the problem sorted but not sure what kind of tradesman to contact. A few people have mentioned it could possibly be the water table but I live half way up a hill which is some 270m above sea level, could this still be a possibility? I was also talking to my next door neighbour who told me that a house a few doors away from me apparently has a spring in their back garden.

My parents were at my house when the drain was fixed and the guy that did it dug it out the first day and then came back the following day to replace the pipe, in that time there was no rise in the water level in the hole he left open, he also lifted the inspection pit which was clear.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, I’m almost out of ideas. I don’t mind getting it sorted out but I need to know what kind of tradesman would be able to pinpoint the problem for me. On the attached drawing of my house the hatched area is the only area where the water currently is.

Sponsored Links
Has the water actually been tested to rule out that it is mains supply? (simple test for chlorine content). If drains and water main have been ruled out then it would suggest ground water.

Bearing in mind that a burst main can surface some distance from the actual leak I would ask the water supplier to double check.

You dont say what kind of house this is.

Many in Brum are semis and some terraced etc.

Often, to discover the cause, a trench needs to be dug parallel with the house wall and perhaps 1000 mm away and to a depth about 200 mm below the internal water level.

Tony

Depending on the surface and whats there this this could take about 3-4 hours per wall with a mini digger.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Have you got a water meter? Has your neighbour?

Presumably your neighbour has the identical problem, have you checked?

Thanks for your comments, the house is a semi detached not terraced. The guy from the water board didn't test the water, rather than go through the hassle of trying to get them out again I may just purchase a kit and test it myself.

I don't have a water meter and I have mentioned it to both my neighbours but unfortunately they don't seem bothered. Probably don't want to go looking for problems, ignorance is bliss etc and the person that lives in the house attached to mine rents and has just had a new carpet laid so I can't see her being much help. I may be able to get the number for the owner though so I may contact him direct as it could be in his interest as I'm sure one day he will want to sell it.

There is the usual passageway down the side of the house where all the services enter the building so I think you may be right and the next option would be to dig a trench and see whats underneath. Unfortunately there's no access for a mini digger :( Plus the passageway is shared between me and my next door neighbour but I'm sure she won't mind the mess for a few days.

Your plans dont help me to decide where the other half semi house is.

Does the water give any indication of from which direction its entering?

It could easily come from the other half.

You could be spending a lot of money when its a simple leak in the other house.

If the stopcock for there is turned almost off, its possible to "hear" a small flow through it with a listening stick and any very helpful inspector would have done that on the supply at both neighbours!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back