Water under suspended wooden floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
All help welcome, I have a 1930's Semi, I had 4 to 6 inches of water on clay soil underneath the suspended wooden floor. I dug a sump and fitted an electric pump which controls the water, but the ground is still very wet and since having new plastic windows and insulating the loft, we have high levels of condensation, mould etc throughout the house, I'm thinking of digging out some sort of drainage system to control the water and laying a dpc on top of the clay soil weighted down with gravel. At the same time insulating between the joists with polystyrene and glass wool. I'm also thinking of using polystyrene wall veneer on each of walls as I redecorate the house. Do you think this will help with the high levels of humidity and condensation. Many thanks

Sponsored Links
No, needs ventilation.

Thanks foxhole for your reply, do you mean ventilation in rooms or under suspended floor, I have several air bricks front and back of house, extractor fan in both bathroom and kitchen. i can only think of opening windows to increase ventilation, but this is not possible in winter months, to cold!

Yes add ventilation. If you are not prepared to increase ventilation you must live with condensation.

Sponsored Links
depending on your budget, a heat recovery unit may be a solution here, it will pump the heat back into your house, but at the same time ventilate/remove the damp air.

I know manrose make them, there could be others too.

depending on your budget, a heat recovery unit may be a solution here, it will pump the heat back into your house, but at the same time ventilate/remove the damp air.

I know manrose make them, there could be others too.
Thanks for your reply I will look into it.

Just one thought..

Do you have many air bricks around the outside walls below your floor level? I have been looking into renovating my 1920's bungalow and been talking about air bricks and ventilation. My house is detached on about 40ft square footprint and I must have 8 to 10 air bricks along each wall. I was told that if you have enough air ventilating through the base the ground will always remain dry.

If this is your problem it may be a relatively low cost solution and probably worth a try.

Also I found this website which is definitely worth a read..

http://oldhouse.info/

Just one thought..

Do you have many air bricks around the outside walls below your floor level? I have been looking into renovating my 1920's bungalow and been talking about air bricks and ventilation. My house is detached on about 40ft square footprint and I must have 8 to 10 air bricks along each wall. I was told that if you have enough air ventilating through the base the ground will always remain dry.

If this is your problem it may be a relatively low cost solution and probably worth a try.

Also I found this website which is definitely worth a read..

http://oldhouse.info/
Thanks for your good advice, but my house is built on heavy clay with a high water table. I can dig a hole in the garden about 2 feet deep and it will start to fill with water. we have been in the house 18 years and its only become a problem since changing the windows and insulating the loft, now have a warmer house but the price is lots of condensation and some mould.

I see your problem. Moisture was probably always in your house but bad insulation and old windows does equal ventilation - hence the problem was not so apparent. Air bricks will dry out the soil but only to a point

Only other idea would be a dehumidifer? It wont prevent the cause but will minimise the condensation

Good luck whatever you try!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back