Attachments

• 20160308_075831.jpg
    20160308_075831.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 133
  • 20160308_075818.jpg
    20160308_075818.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 121
Sponsored Links
As already mentioned the water might be coming from the tundish if the over-pressure safety valve is operating.

Hang some thin cloth loosely around the tundish and see if it gets wet. ( do not tie it tight othewise the safe operation of the tundish may be compromised. If you draw some lines on the cloth using water soluable ink then even if it dries out before you look at the ink will have run when it was wet.

Thanks Bernard will give that a try, if it is the tundish is it safe to assume there is no issue ? or should i be doing anything further ?

Sponsored Links
In theory the safety valve that discharges into the tundish should not open if the system is working normally. If it is opening fequently then either the vlave is opening at normal working pressure and needs replacing or the pressure in the cylinder is going too high. That will require a G3 registered plumber to check the system out to fond why it is going over pressure.
G3 relates to the servicing of pressurised hot water cylinders

Turns out the leak is coming from the black valve (connected to discharge pipe ) on the left when pressure is too much, any ideas on cost of supply and replace ? Is it just called a pressure relief valve ? there is another one on the other side fixed at 3.5 bar. Should I replace both ?

20160307_174454-1.jpg

That's one of the safety system of your un-vented, you need a qualified un-vented engineer in to check and replace as necessary. It's not a DIY fix I'm afraid.

The fault is likely to be something else. Usually can be repaired with no replacement parts cost.

I would charge my standard diagnostic visit fee of £84.

But there is no standardisation of charges for plumbing and heating work so try to ask before you call anyone.

Tony

The fault is likely to be something else. Usually can be repaired with no replacement parts cost.

I would charge my standard diagnostic visit fee of £84.

But there is no standardisation of charges for plumbing and heating work so try to ask before you call anyone.

Tony

you mean causing the black vale to leak ? any ideas what it could be ? I had someone round and he said it was the black valve leaking not balancing the pressure successfully, said he would come back once he has the cost of the part etc and let me know. He said it may even be worth replacing both sides as the other side could be causing it somehow also.

So how much did you pay him for coming round?

Was he qualified to work on unvented cylinders?

Tony

But is he qualified to work on unvented cylinders?

I would always charge to visit and diagnose a fault. Otherwise its giving away your expertise for free and that's not an effective business model.

Tony

I have a megaflow cylinder and when the air bubble needs recharging the tundish lets out a bit of water when the water is being heated. Could it just need repressurising?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back