Water, water everywhere........

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys.

I have started re-decorating our bedroom and what I thought was just condensation, turns out to be a lot more.
I removed the plastic capping around the UPVC window and found this....

qpe3t.jpg

ajez5.jpg

The other side, which doesnt look bad to me.

vjpjw.jpg

Wall underneath the window cil, the patch that looks like water staining is dry, but to the left, the plaster is solid but it is always wet. The right side is dry.

i2zax.jpg

Sponsored Links
Have you checked the external seals around the window?
Could well be water from there.
When you say capping, you mean the edge trim on the reveals, not the actual window?

The white plastic covering (decorative thingy's) on the inside

dscf4699.jpg

I have checked the outside and all looks good, but its been dry ever since I removed the covering and it has remained dry outside, although the wall is cold, it is not 'wet'

Any pointing issues above the window?
Sometime it can pour down and everything seems good until the wind starts blowing.
Good water test is to get a hose pipe outside and give the widow a right soaking around the seals, see if there is an ingress coming through.
And I mean a right soaking, close up and direct. Get your waterproofs on!

Sponsored Links
Any pointing issues above the window?
Sometime it can pour down and everything seems good until the wind starts blowing.
Good water test is to get a hose pipe outside and give the widow a right soaking around the seals, see if there is an ingress coming through.
And I mean a right soaking, close up and direct. Get your waterproofs on!

Pointing looks top class (was done before we bought the house).

Cheers mate, ill give it a go. I hope it is something like that, dont want to be spending months trying to sort this haha

That was my first thought, but there is no water/damp anywhere else in the room (either directly above or anywhere along the wall), the cavities have all been insulated with that injection stuff and the roof is as dry as a bone.

I have tried the 'water trick' using a pressure washer and the bottom corner of the window let's water in, will get the ladders up this week and investigate.
Can any one advise what silicone (brown) is best to use around the frame (I am thinking about scraping it all off and renewing anyway). My dad also said to use a polystyrene underlay before papering on the wall (only on the wall that has the window on (outside wall), he says it will help capture moisture and also give a better thermal coverage, does that make any sense to anyone else?

Many thanks for all your advise.

You want a good quality polyurethane sealant, the colour is up to you.
If you ask on the window and door forum they will be better informed on the better brands to use //www.diynot.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=18.
Not sure about the wallpapering I would firstly sort the moisture problem out, make sure you double glazing has not failed. if there is a condensation build up.

Thanks for all your help.
How can I check the double glazing? it doesnt mist up or anything like that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back