Waterlogged, flooded planters. Any point in saving the compost?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As a novice gardener I got a couple of planters last year and grew a few beans and some spinach. Just for fun basically.

The planter are long rectangular ones and had NO drainage holes. Today they are now full of water and are a soggy, flooded mess. Am I right in thinking the only course of action now is to chuck the contents away and start all over again this year? I'm guessing the flooded compost/water mixture is not really of use now?

Sponsored Links
The compost should be fine - I'd suggest drilling some holes in the bottom, wait for it to drain, top up and plant up.

are they full of soil? Or of compost? Peat-based and similar composts have minerals added to them which will wash out. Soil and John Innes types are more resilient.

I like to dig out my soil-filled pots and mix in 25% growbag each year, which is cheap and easy. Vegetables gobble up the fertiliser content so you will need to add something.

Sponsored Links
If you have a garden, tip the spent compost on the flower beds & start again with fresh. You will get bed flower borders as well.
If you have no other garden, you will need to mix some fertiliser in.

Fair enough. Thanks. I'll see if I can salvage some of it and drill holes in the planters.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back