WB Greenstar 30CDi: Turbine adaptor dripped, Diverter Motor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Worcester Bosch Greenstar 30 CDi which is roughly 7 years old.

I came home to no hot water and found, after I was told what the parts were, that the Turbine adaptor had failed and was dripping onto the Diverter Motor, which in turn failed as a direct result.

Having a couple of kids I had to get the fault fixed asap.

When the engineer came out he said that the Turbine Adaptor failing, and then dripping onto the Diverter Motor is a common fault with atleast the model I have.
He said Worcester Bosch now make a simple cover for the Diverter Motor so that it is protected from drips/leaks. He replaced the adaptor, motor and fitted the cover.

Has anybody else come across the same issue, as I am trying to find out if it is a common/widespread problem.

Thanks

dhallworth

Sponsored Links
i have worked on many worcester bosch boilers and found his to be a common problem,
The flow turbine adaptor goes mushy or brittle and causes a leak, this in turn drips onto the diverter motor which on earlier versions Did NOT have a plastic housing protecting it therefore it fries the motor!
These boiler are known for pinholing plastic on both manifolds and happen to often to be a one off!

Worcester Bosch have now fitted a nice green funnel on the cdi classics, to bypass that issue, but for some unknown reason have not fitted them to the compact range.

Sponsored Links
Manufacturers usually play down problems with their boilers.

A number of years ago I came across a Vaillant boiler where the gas adjustments were sealed.

I discovered that it had drifted dangerously high. They said they had never heard of that before!

Just a few weeks later they issued a warning recall notice to all RGIs telling them about the very same problem!

Changed plenty of them, keep one on the van because they go so often. They started putting a green rubber boot over the diverter valve (directly below flow turbine) after the Mk1 boiler started having the problem. If they'd never heard of the issue then why would they put the cover on the diverter?

Worcester, surely not, what the installers choice, Who's Best Buy, must be a mistake, if it's true my faith in the gas industry has been destroyed, going to have to go and have a lie down.......

To be fair to Worcester Vaillant denied they had a heat exchanger seal problem. Which is the bigger lie?

Yes this part is known to leak and yes as others have said the stepper motor is now protected by a green rubbery raincoat.

Not always an easy leak to fix as there are a few seals along the route. Last one I did the seal provided with the replacement copper pipe that I needed was not correct for the generation of boiler I was working on.

If your heating engineer fixed it first time I would give him a medal.

So to sum up im pretty sure we all agree its a common problem, also the rubber diverter cover was added to stop the leak taking out the motor?

Like the lads say it is a common issue but Worcester are not going to admit and put it in the public domain

They also claim their boilers are installers choice for their own homes ,sent me a coupon with £250 quid off.

No thanks not this installers choice!!!

Is anything easy to fix on a Worcester ????????????

Um, diverter motor? :LOL:

I have fitted a few hundred Worcesters but I don't recommend them anymore. They are getting faults that they shouldn't. The quality of the plastic in several components has gone down.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back