1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

WD USB external hard drive not backing up all files

Discussion in 'Software' started by JBR, 11 Sep 2014.

1. JBR

JBR

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I have discovered that, despite my regularly backing up to a WD Passport external hard drive, using SmartWare software, some files are not backed up. I should mention that neither are they listed in the 'files not backed up' (which are usually the files in use and e-mails).

I have read online that this is a not uncommon problem with this drive and software, and I cannot find any evidence of WD taking the problem seriously.

If I cannot sort this problem, I think it may be best to use some alternative backup software that is more reliable. It does not need to be an automatic backup; I can do that manually on a regular basis, but I would like it to be able to do incremental backups.

Could anyone please suggest a reliable backup software that will work with this WD Passport?

I assume that I would have to re-format the external hard drive and start again?

I'd be very grateful for any advice.

2. JBR

JBR

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Unfortunately, no-one has replied yet. Consequently, I have formatted my external hard disc and uninstalled all WD software from my computer.

I have now done a full backup using Windows 7 Backup and Restore which, although having taken about four hours, appears to have backed everything up correctly.

Now I need to see whether Backup and Restore will do subsequent backups differentially. Naturally, Microsoft assures me that it does; many users seem to think it does not, and does a full backup every time. Time will tell.

If I find that it does not do differential backups, I'll be in the market for a third party backup software (paid or, preferably, free). So I'd still be grateful in anyone has any recommendations. :D

3. Sponsored Links
  4. CylonRaider

CylonRaider

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
  5. JBR

JBR

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, though, the web site says that it doesn't do differential backups.

6. Sponsored Links