WD USB external hard drive not backing up all files

JBR

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have discovered that, despite my regularly backing up to a WD Passport external hard drive, using SmartWare software, some files are not backed up. I should mention that neither are they listed in the 'files not backed up' (which are usually the files in use and e-mails).

I have read online that this is a not uncommon problem with this drive and software, and I cannot find any evidence of WD taking the problem seriously.

If I cannot sort this problem, I think it may be best to use some alternative backup software that is more reliable. It does not need to be an automatic backup; I can do that manually on a regular basis, but I would like it to be able to do incremental backups.

Could anyone please suggest a reliable backup software that will work with this WD Passport?

I assume that I would have to re-format the external hard drive and start again?

I'd be very grateful for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately, no-one has replied yet. Consequently, I have formatted my external hard disc and uninstalled all WD software from my computer.

I have now done a full backup using Windows 7 Backup and Restore which, although having taken about four hours, appears to have backed everything up correctly.

Now I need to see whether Backup and Restore will do subsequent backups differentially. Naturally, Microsoft assures me that it does; many users seem to think it does not, and does a full backup every time. Time will tell.

If I find that it does not do differential backups, I'll be in the market for a third party backup software (paid or, preferably, free). So I'd still be grateful in anyone has any recommendations. :D

Sponsored Links
Back