We are a country of shorter people now

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

British children who grew up during the years of austerity are shorter than their peers in Bulgaria, Montenegro and Lithuania, a study has found.

In 1985, British boys and girls ranked 69 out of 200 countries for average height aged five. At the time they were on average 111.4cm and 111cm tall respectively.

Now, British boys are 102nd and girls 96th, with the average five-year-old boy measuring 112.5cm and the average girl, 111.7cm. In Bulgaria, the average height for a five-year-old boy is 121cm and a girl, 118cm.

Food experts point out that a diet of cheap junk food makes people simultaneously overweight and undernourished.

Sponsored Links
"The question is why" but the Guardian article jumps to a conclusion.

It costs more to feed your kids McDonalds than it does to cook them a healthy meal. Bulgaria, Montenegro and Lithuania are hardly rich nations.

This is 100% culture, not funding.

It costs more to feed your kids McDonalds than it does to cook them a healthy meal. Bulgaria, Montenegro and Lithuania are hardly rich nations.

Do you have some study or evidence to back that claim.

Sponsored Links

You also assumed cheap junk food meant that they just eat at Mcdonalds - it also includes buying more frozen food etc.

Just shown your bias - well done.

On top you didn't factor in living costs of Bulgaria, Montenegro and Lithuania compared to the UK so this superficial point of yours is moot. I wonder is housing in those countries cheaper. Take a wild guess.

But do carry on.

So let’s look at some definitions.

British children. Given the changing demographics of our nation. Show me the evidence that this isn’t a dilution of source.

Nordic people are generally taller than south Asians. Is this population change?

There are so many factors - but your article blames austerity.

Time for my lunchtime punchline...

BOLL@X!

(Read it out loud whilst pretending to cough)

Have they factored in the proportion of kids the age they're measuring which is of ethnicities which may be shorter?
Etc Etc Etc.
Of course not.

As someone who has been called a ****** I find you rather
insulating.

Last edited by a moderator:

British children who grew up during the years of austerity are shorter than their peers in Bulgaria, Montenegro and Lithuania, a study has found.

In 1985, British boys and girls ranked 69 out of 200 countries for average height aged five. At the time they were on average 111.4cm and 111cm tall respectively.

Now, British boys are 102nd and girls 96th, with the average five-year-old boy measuring 112.5cm and the average girl, 111.7cm. In Bulgaria, the average height for a five-year-old boy is 121cm and a girl, 118cm.

Food experts point out that a diet of cheap junk food makes people simultaneously overweight and undernourished.
Clickbait.
In 1985 Britain was a more homogeneous nation.
If kids today are shorter than their peers in 1985 ,it could be because of the influx of people from other countries, including the ones mentioned in your post.
Does the report give an ethnic breakdown of these 'British' kids.
If they were chosen at random, then there must be a large percentage of them from recent immigrant stock.
I'm 6'4" myself and my kids are above average height, I've noticed that a lot of my friends and neighbours kids who are now adults are also taller than their parents.
If it is the case that there is some sort of nutrition deficit in the diet of kids ,then the government should bring back free school milk and proper school dinners, and the dinners should be proper school dinners ,not the rabbit food they call 'Lunch'.

Clickbait.
In 1985 Britain was a more homogeneous nation.
If kids today are shorter than their peers in 1985 ,it could be because of the influx of people from other countries, including the ones mentioned in your post.
Does the report give an ethnic breakdown of these 'British' kids.
If they were chosen at random, then there must be a large percentage of them from recent immigrant stock.
I'm 6'4" myself and my kids are above average height, I've noticed that a lot of my friends and neighbours kids who are now adults are also taller than their parents.
If it is the case that there is some sort of nutrition deficit in the diet of kids ,then the government should bring back free school milk and proper school dinners, and the dinners should be proper school dinners ,not the rabbit food they call 'Lunch'.
Current UK is 74.4% ethnic british and Holland is 77.4% - so pretty similar.

I agree your last sentence.

Sponsored Links
Back