We are a country of shorter people now

Personal anecdotal experience here, I feel like we've always been shorter on average than our European counterparts, particularly the Northern Europeans but I reckon the young kids nowadays are far taller on average too.

I'm a shade over 6ft and when I was younger I felt pretty tall in the general population where it was only guys around 6'3 that seemed much taller than me but those were fairly few and far between. These days I feel like most young kids are above 6'2" despite living on McDonalds chicken nuggets for most their life and not being outdoors as much growing up as we were. It's weird.

Gym participation is a factor too now though, much more young guys are conscious of their physical condition and will spend 5 days minimum per week doing strength training. I remember that being a thing that we only started doing in our early twenties, trying to look ripped in the club at the weekend but prior to that most guys had never seen the inside of a gym in their lives. Now half these kids are trying to look like social media fitness influencers.

Sponsored Links
I have £1million of your English pounds for anyone who can convince me that your height is defined by either your diet or your gym habit.

Six out of seven dwarfs aren't Happy.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have £1million of your English pounds for anyone who can convince me that your height is defined by either your diet or your gym habit.
I’ll take that bet.

Do Pilates, body balance, some yoga, some dead hangs etc etc. and I’ll find you an inch you lost sitting at your keyboard.

Sponsored Links
Here's what ChatGPT said about it...

why are people getting taller over time?

People are getting taller over time because of improved nutrition, access to medical care, and an overall better quality of life. This increases the availability of essential vitamins, minerals, and proteins in the diet, which are necessary for healthy growth. Additionally, as lifestyles increasingly become less physically demanding, there is less energy being expended and more energy being consumed. This surplus of energy and multiple positive factors contribute to increases in height.

Can you link to some supporting data for this?

Yes. One study published in the European Journal of Public Health found that average heights across Europe have increased by approximately 7 centimeters (2.76 inches) over the past 100 years. Additionally, a report published by the World Health Organization found that people living in wealthier countries are typically taller than those living in poorer countries due to improved healthcare and nutrition.

Here are the links to both of the studies:
European Journal of Public Health: https://academic.oup.com/eurpub/article/16/suppl_2/S21/1931376World Health Organization: https://www.who.int/nutrition/topics/height_weight_adults/en/

Last edited:
Yeah, but what height were they before they sat down?????????
unless you are particularly short. Most people can get an inch by improving their posture and stretching their back. If you have any kind of herniated disc. You may be able to get more.

Six out of seven dwarfs aren't Happy.

sarcasm-eye.gif

According to Dr Karl, antibiotics have something to do with it too.

Logic being, you have a finite number of growth spurts.
If you're ill during one of those growth spurts, you'll not benefit fully from it, if at all.
Antibiotics increase the likelihood of being able to fully benefit.

Well it's what the tories since 2010 (and time immemorial) and the stupid voters in 2016 wanted...

Return the UK to being the 'sick man of Europe'...

Oh but of course, there are no lifeboats available as the brexitanic has already set sail on it's fateful voyage!

Sponsored Links
Back