Weather Compensator

Onetap wrote

so the boiler flow temperature remains relatively low

What about the "response rate" setting ?.
Does turning this up not raise the boiler flow temperature in line with low outside temperatures.

Yes thats my understanding too Balenza. Look at the front panel which is shown on the gotoplumbing.com website. For an outsite temp of 10c (typical of temp at this time of year), a response rate of 1 would give flow of 25c. Turning the response rate to 15 would give 55c. Thats similar to the flow temp I am getting from my weather compensated boiler.

I told my customers to turn the response rate to about 9 and if the house doesn't get warm enough then turn up the response rate slightly and give it a day to see if it improves enough to make it comfortable.

Sponsored Links
What about the "response rate" setting ?.

What about it? If you ever find one, you'll be able to read the data sheet and let us know.

The fact remains, if you try to use it as a weather compensation device, it will wreck a non-condensing boiler and it has no boost facility, a fairly essential feature. It is an obsolete piece if technology that was intended to save energy and (if it is the same as the ones I vaguely recall) it didn't do that very well.

It is electronic junk, totally superceded by advances in electronic controllers and by condensing boilers with modulating burners. It's more obsolete than a brick mobile phone.

With a non-condensing boiler the return has to be kept at 60 degC ish (think 56 is the critical point). So you can't operate it at a flow temperature of less than 60 degC, even if you have got some back-end protection device. Most VT systems operate at 30 to 55 for much of the year. The BEM thing can't ever go below about 60 flow without damaging the boiler.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back