Weatherproof flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We are having a 2 storey extension being built. The Builders have done the brickwork up past the first floor and have just put first floor joists in.
Today they told me that they were going to lay the chipboard flooring (i.e the permenant floor that the carpets will go on) so that the brickies can use this to continue their work.
I questioned why they would put chipboard down when the roof isn't on yet and potentially we could have weeks of rain.
There reply was that the chipboard was waterproof.
This doesn't sound right to me. I know you can get moisture resistant chipboard, but not up to withstanding downpours.
I would have thought they could just put some temporary shuttering ply down to work off until the roof and windows are in.

Are they right?

Regards,

Graham

Sponsored Links
I'm not a builder so use your own judgement on my comments.

There is no such thing as waterproof chipboard, just moisture-resistant as you say and it certainly shouldn't be exposed to rain.

I believe that industry guidelines ( maybe from NHBC insurance scheme) state that MR chipboard should not be exposed to weather.

Hi

Are they right?

Yes your builders are right, providing they are using P5 chipboared with adhered waterproof slip resistant, peel clean covering, with 50mm wide 100% waterproof plolythene coated cloth tape over all joists and fixing holes.
This is now the standard method of working and the surface is guaranteed for 42 days against inclementr weather.
In our new house builds we leave it down untill painter is finished and then peel it of and leave the floors in pristine condition.
By the by, we stick all our chipboard floors now and only use five fixings per board.. This stops any floor creaks and saves couple hours labour for 100ms of flooring.
Regards oldun.

Sponsored Links
thanks for the replys.

I believe theywere talking about the normal green chipboard flooring. But will check this on Monday

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back