Floating Floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to raise a floor by as close to 15cm as possible. The floor is currently concrete.

I have been advised to create a floating floor by doing the following:

Paint the floor with a liquid dpm overlapping up the walls,
Put down Jablite Polystyrene
Put 18mm Chipboard T&G flooring on top which is just glued together (12mm expansion gap at the edges)

I'm told that is the easiest and most effective way to raise the floor in question.

My problem is that I want to tile the floor, so chipboard won't be good to tile to.

I've been told not to bother with the chipboard and instead use marine ply. Can ply be bought in T&G? If not how would I properly lay it?

Or is there any better way to do this?

Sponsored Links
you'd normally screw the ply to the floor you have.

are you tiling yourself? if not, get you tiler round to price up and ask him what he is happy tiling onto. probably an 18mm ply to avoid any risk of flexing as it's trafficed

I have an large integral garage with my bungalow which is about a 15cm step down from the rest of the property. I wanted to make one end of it into an office at the same level as the other rooms. I laid timber like rafters 50cm apart across the floor of the garage and then screwed 18mm chipboard to the top. However, I only wanted carpet on top of that.

You could use 18mm chipboard for cheapness and then glue or screw a thin layer of something else, possibly plywood, on top to provide the right surface for tiling.

Hope this has given you some ideas.

Plywood can be had 22mm thick with a t&g, specifically for flooring.

Sponsored Links
I would use a thick gauge viscreen instead of a painted dpm as this is guaranteed to have no holes in it. Painted dpm's can leave tiny gaps which let damp in if applied incorrectly. Lap the viscreen up the wall to the damp course height if possible.
If the area you are flooring is going to be trafficed heavily i would also use a eco-therm or kingspan insulation as this has a better compressive strength than jablight or jabfloor and comes in larger sheets than jab floor.
A 22mm P5 weyrock sheeting is tongue and grooved and is highly water resistant and a fraction of the price of marine ply of the same thickness.
I would lay this and cover it with a 9mm plywood screwed at 9 inch centres and primed with PVA before tiling.
Use a flexible rapid set adhesive for laying the tiles and also a flexible grout to prevent cracking.

Insulation and floor screed.

p**ses all over floating floors.

Noseall, what would be the exact order of materials and thickesses for that to give 150mm thickness?

Thanks

To achieve 0.20W/m2K.
1000g poly DPM.
90mm Celotex FF4000.
60mm Screed with fibre reinforcement.

To achieve 0.21W/m2K
Poly.
85 mm Celotex FF4000
65mm Screed with fibre reinforcement.

oldun.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back