Stud Walls - sit on top of floating floor or onto concrete?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I am turning the back half of my detached garage into an office to free up our spare bedroom (for more babies!). I am pretty comfortable with how I am going to construct it all and am about to start work out there.

I plan to use a liquid DPM on the floor, then layer celotex and chipboard T&G to create a floating floor. I will then create insulated studwork walls and was wondering if I should put these on top of the floating floor or have the bottom plate rest directly on the concrete floor. I believe this will create a cold bridge but not sure if having the studowrk rest on the floating floor might cause compression of the celotex?

Many thanks!

Sponsored Links
Would you like a floating wall to go with the floating floor?

You probablly would not.

Stud walls don't weight very much. You probably exert more pressure just standing there. Definitely if you have the wife's high heels on..

It's not going to be as much of a cold bridge as you think either..

In short, it probably matters little either way; do whatever helps you sleep at night!

Sponsored Links
As you'll have the Chipboard underneath the studwork, the load (as much as it is) will get spread, but you'll have no real rigidity even if you glue and screw it to the chipboard. There's won't be a great deal of cold bridging fitting to the concrete, but you could set another noggin/ floor plate at the chipboard floor level, and then plasterboard from there if you're really worried about it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back