what Should I replace floating floor with for tiling...without removing kitchen?!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all, I ripped up the old tiled floor in our kitchen as the tiles had all started to come loose. Turns out there was a small leak and the chipboard flooring had turned to mush! I replaced the chipboard with new boards with the kitchen units in situ (with some skilful Jenga of kitchen unit legs). Retiled and all was good!! ...for a bit!

Now cracks have appeared where the chipboard joins are, obviously the floor is flexing-it is a floating floor with polystyrene insulation, a DPM and then the chipboard. I think it is likely block and beam underneath.

So I want to know what options I have to replace the floating floor with something I can tile onto properly, without removing the kitchen units? Can I have the floor screeded with units in place? Could empty them and remove the legs to allow this? Any other ideas? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Tiles and chipboard are rarely a suitable pairing......

If there is deflection (bounce) in the flooring then that has to be rectified (If possible) prior to tiling. Glass of water on floor, jump/walk near the glass and see how much the water moves. This will tell u if there is deflection in the floor.

If you establish there isn't bounce in the floor, it may just be movement. In that case, you could use a decoupling membrane then tile. Alternatively, you could overboard with backer boards.

Either that, or consider an alternative such as polyflor LVT

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back