weird circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This morning a wall light almost came off the wall, I fixed it back on putting the wires back in place. Switched the light on and the fuse box clicked. Switched off the fuses again, checked the wires in the wall light and tried again, this time they cam on. So i had to remount it all, left it all day. And now they wont come on, I've had them on and off the wall all day but they still wont work. I have left them off the wall now.

But, the main light in the living room, is now very dim when on and it also turns the kitchen spot lights on (which are also dim). If i flick the kitchen spotlight switch, they come on bright, but 2 of them switch off!

If i turn the main light in the kitchen on, it does not come on, but the spotlights do, and they are dim again.

Is it possible that a fuse has gone in my main box?

Sponsored Links
grenadier said:
Is it possible that a fuse has gone in my main box?

It is possible.

But that's not your problem... your problem is whatever you've done whilst mucking about with your lights.

Sponsored Links
this is an image of the wires in the wall and the wires on the light.

200702111844_00083.jpg

The light blue area are 2 wires that were tucked away in the wall, and have been for 3 years.

200702111845_00085.jpg

If the left screw head on the bracket in your first pic is cutting into the cable, as it appears to be then I would think you have a short to earth which will probably be your problem. If it is, then rectifying it will be difficult without doing a bit of damage to the plasterwork.

I wonder if the two "unused" wires are part of the other circuits. like a looped neutral may be.

Dim lights are always a worry.......

my advice to you is call a qualified electrician in NOW!

Odd switching like that can occur when you have a live/earth fault and a high resistance earth.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back