Kitchen lighting - Where have I gone wrong?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Any idea where I’ve gone wrong with my kitchen lighting?

The main light fixture (spotlight bar) is VERY dim as you can see from the picture. All the light comes from the 2 down lights (it’s like they are stealing all the power). The spotlight bar flickers a bit brighter when switched off.

Background - whole house was re-wired and the spotlight bar was fitted by the electrician. The two spot lights where old school bulky down lights so i swapped them with an LED conversion kit from screwfix.

I’m guessing I’ve missed something simple?

Attachments

• AC2A501B-9C12-48A9-9895-0C0DE9F0B484.jpeg
    AC2A501B-9C12-48A9-9895-0C0DE9F0B484.jpeg
    307.7 KB · Views: 76
Sponsored Links
You've probably ended up with the downlights in series with the spotlight bar, post pictures of how you have connected them

Those spotlights are never a good idea in a kitchen.
They create shadows and only illuminate certain spots.
Disconnect that fitting and try a simple fitting with a 15w+ led bulb.
Then see if it makes any difference.
If so, throw the spotlights away and buy a kitchen light fitting of high wattage (20W led is plenty)

Sponsored Links
Exactly.
God knows how many times I heard: "The kitchen looks dark. I should've listen to you."...
Ditto.

A friend had an expensive kitchen replacement when downlighters had reaaly become the only fashionable light, they fitted loads, something like 20. The ceramic tiled floor got lovely and warm, as did the work surfaces and the top of ones head. However wherever one tried to work it cast a big shadow on the work.

Fortunately the plaster repair to the ceiling where the original 8ft fluo light cable came through was just about visible with carefull positioning of a torch and a screwdriver soon had the hole open to find the 'not very good' junction and a replacement fluo fitting soon had the kitchen properly lit again.

What is being said about spotlights here is exactly what I am telling my wife, she wants to put a spotlight bar like the above photo in our ancient kitchen to replace the 5" tubes. I may just show her this discussion :) :)

What is being said about spotlights here is exactly what I am telling my wife, she wants to put a spotlight bar like the above photo in our ancient kitchen to replace the 5" tubes. I may just show her this discussion :) :)
I would definitely thing twice, and several more times
My daughter is a dedicated follower of fashion and will only have such fittings. her kitchen is about 16 x 10 and had 2 triple spot bars at POS.
This pic from the sales info shows the hard shadows.
1677842231846.jpeg

They decided to change the lights to something that actually lit the room but only a few days later she purchased some almost identical spotbars from Next.
Without the under cupboard fluo strips reflecting off the high gloss worktops into your eyes the kitchen would be unworkable.

What is being said about spotlights here is exactly what I am telling my wife, she wants to put a spotlight bar like the above photo in our ancient kitchen to replace the 5" tubes.
If I were you I wouldn't stop her doing it. If she doesn't like them she can change back to the fluorescent lights.

Call me old school, but I have a pair of 6 foot flu fittings in the kitchen. OK, they're not the height of fashion but their minimum shadow is great for a kitchen where you're using knives.

When they become unserviceable, I will replace them with LED equivalents.

I also have 2 x 6 foot twin LED anti-corrosives in the garage which also give a cracking light. Prior to that, I had two 8 foot twin flu fittings. The tubes got ridiculously expensive so I sacked them off.

I came across this light fitting for the kitchen. The brightness of a fluorescent tube, but nicely designed so it did not look so utilitarian.
I bought it for my kitchen and it has been fantastic. Two 28w tubes which put out a fantastic amount of light.
Now prices are coming down I plan to convert it to the LED tube type.
They actually now come with 2x18w LED tubes as standard.

This site (I did not buy mine from here) seems to have the cheapest price I can find it for.

If I remember they do seem to have different brand names, so look around and you may find it for a much cheaper price.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-03-04 at 04-22-48 endon-harper-81691-roomset-in-kitchen.jpg (JPEG Image 1000 ×...png
    Screenshot 2023-03-04 at 04-22-48 endon-harper-81691-roomset-in-kitchen.jpg (JPEG Image 1000 ×...png
    419 KB · Views: 56

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back