Spot lights in the kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am going to install 4-6 spotlights in the kitchen ceiling, instead of the single light fixture that is currently there. In order to do this I need to lift some floorsboards upstairs to install new cabling from the existing light to all the new positions where the spots are going. So I have some questions regarding this,

1. Am I allowed according to the regulations to do this work myself?
2. What is the best way of connecting the new cabling from the existing light position?
3. What cabling is needed?
4. Which spotlights are most energy efficiant, low voltage and standard?
5. What is the recommendation on installing spotlight i.e. how close should they be to each other?
6. I am doing the same in the hallway is the the regulation different from the kitchen?

Sponsored Links
The work in the Kitchen can be carried out by yourself aslong as it is certified and the council are notified. The Hallway will also need to be certified but this does not come under notifiable works!
The best way to connect onto your existing supply is via a 15A junction box in the ceiling void. You should use either 1.5mm T&E or 1.5mm 3 core flex. To comply with the 17th edition your circuit must also be protected by an RCD if the cable you install or is installed is less than 50mm below the surface.
To be honest I would go for the 12v spotlights as they cost less to run and its practically impossible to tell the difference between them and mains fittings.
As for the spacing between spotlights its entirely your own choice. I usually install with a space of about 2m. It just depends on the size of the room really! Bearing in mind that they give off a lot more light than a normal pendant fitting!

Sponsored Links
Oh right.

I didn't realise that 12V downlighters were exempt from ohms law, and defy all the rules of physics.

They use slightly more power for the same light output, because of the power lost in the 'transformer'. I'm not sure myself why 12V lighting is so popular!

a 50w lamp is a 50w lamp, regardless of the voltage. It uses the same power. But a 12v lamp has power lost in the transformer as well.
I wish I'd said that! Oh but...

Thanks everyone for your replies!

I am also glad that we clarified the low voltage issue but I think some of you could be a bit humble if you have better knowledge as this is a forum for sharing and learning.

The best way to connect onto your existing supply is via a 15A junction box in the ceiling void.

So if I want to put 5 spotlights in the kitchen where I currently have the single light connected to the rose can someone please describe in detail how that should be done and what is needed. A diagram would be great!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back