First DIY electrics project

Thanks guys, the product is plastic and double insulated, the instructions say not to earth it, I guess I snip the earth where I split the cable for the live and neutral to go into the spot?

Sponsored Links
U should never cut them as u may need them I'm future if u fit a different light.

You should add some earth sleeving to your list

All the bare earth wire should be sleeved.
So at the switch and light etc.

Connector blocks come in different sizes or amp rating.

3 or 6 amp is probably suitable for what you want.

Sponsored Links
Started well but wires tend to break when I screw the connectors to them and manipulate wires to fit in the pull cord switch. Probably happened 10 times now. Any advice welcome

Started well but wires tend to break when I screw the connectors to them and manipulate wires to fit in the pull cord switch. Probably happened 10 times now. Any advice welcome
What sort of wire are you using? That's not a problem I've ever had with normal twin and earth with solid cores. If you're using Flex, with multiple strands, maybe the screw connector is mincing the strands.

Sometimes happens if your stripping the cable with a stanley knife, digging too deep and scoring the copper, thus weakening it.
Similar to how a pipe cutter cuts copper pipe

Could be over tightening that is the cause. Finally got the light and pull cord connected just baulked at connecting to ceiling rose as I will need to go in through the ceiling and back down. Busy at the weekend but will be doing it next weekend, tester at the ready. Do I touch the tester to the wire going into the terminals or the terminals themselves?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back