LED Security light enigma

B

Big Tone

I bought a 10 Watt security light for my outside front doorway with PIR from Maplin.

I've wired it into the lighting circuit of my lean-to. In there I have a wall switch which supplies power to turn on the bank of fluorescent tubes and power two spotlights on a pull cord, (for my dart board), all coming from a 4 way round junction box.

Now then, get this! Without actually turning the wall switch on, I operate the pull switch for the two indoor spots. They don't come on, of course, because the wall switch is off. But the spotlight at the front starts flashing. :eek:

All I can think of is the extra wire in the circuit, (which has no mains running through to switch the two indoor spots on), is acting like an aerial which sends the circuit in the outside PIR LED security light nuts.

I've posted a link of me moving from the front where you will see it on, and steady, go into the lean-to and pull the cord, (no lights come on as said), and see for yourself at the end.

It's only about 30 secs long...

http://youtu.be/4HM1Pg_cXQU :eek:

Sponsored Links
Your description is a bit difficult to follow but I would think the lights are in series when you pull the cord.

Can we have a picture of your connections?

How do you want the security light to work?
Is there another switch for it?

I will guess the inductance and capacitance in the cables is enough to energise the lamp I have had this before and there are matching units to stop it happening transmission lines is a complex subject but if the switch is close to light it should work OK the problem is normally found with two way lighting.

My cure was to include a small standard bulb in the circuit which will leak away the build up.

Or wire a resistor into the circuit to achieve the same result.

PJ

Sponsored Links
I thought it would be about transmission lines but, (being in electronics myself), I wouldn't have expected such a dramatic fault condtion at just 50Hz.

I know and understand inductance but things normally travel down wires as a generalisation until you get to RF.

I'll try and submit a drawing EFL. It was quite difficult to explain and a picture speaks a thousand words an' all that...

Well I had a quick look tonight and let's just say it's not how I would have wired it.

It's too late to follow what's happening, there's nothing I can see that's dangerous, and in all honesty I can't think of a (bad) way to wire this so it all sort of works as it does.

What I have just noticed, however, is when the interior spots are switched off they are actually on very dimly for as long as the outside spotlight is on at night when triggered :confused:

The plot thickens...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back