external lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I have a radial circuit in my garage supplying a light and single plug socket. Can I take a spur off the supply to power a security spotlight on the gable wall of the garate? I'd like it to be switched so I can manually override it when I need the light on for extended periods. Is a pull cord best for this?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Buy a 150w floodlight, angled straight downwards, with a PIR. Wire it to a switch as you would a normal light. Now here's the clever bit. Most PIR lights have the function whereby you can override the PIR by flicking the switch off and on in quick succession.

Any power supply to this light must be fused at 5A or less. The supply to the light already in the garage should be just this. Hopefully.

Thanks Crafty. It's a new house. Checked the fuse which is in the dining room and it is 5A! Could I just clarify that the supply to the switch can come from a spur from the supply into the garage? And the type of switch could be cord or otherwise?

Thanks again.

so the socket and the light come from this 5 amp FCU?

This is so wrong. :eek: You need to fit a 13A fuse there, and have another FCU downstream with a 5 amp fuse, to protect the lighting only.

But as it stands at the moment, it is ok to have the light connected to this. Just dont let anyone up-rate that fuse when it starts blowing when you plug a tumble dryer in etc, until you have downstream protection for the lights.

Sponsored Links
Sorry Crafty, my mistake. Got a 5A and 15A in the unit in the garage. Wired up today as you kindly advised and it works a treat. Thanks for your help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back