Providing garage with power supply from external plug on house

I think 20A switches are more expensive than an FCU though.
Probably true. However, the 'rating' of a switch usually relates to the maximum current it might be called upon to break, so I'd be perfectly happy to have lights supplied by a '6A' switch (and 'protected' by a 13A fuse). Under what circumstances could the switch be called upon to break more than 6A?

In the case of a fault downstream of the switch, a fault current of probably several hundred amps would flow (until some OPD operated) - but if a current of 'several hundred amps' is flowing through the switch for a very brief period of time, it hardly matters whether it is 'rated' at 6A or 20A!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
MK standard switches are rated at 10A so that's marginally better than 6A, and they're only £1 each, and MK 20A switches are cheaper than their 13A FCU's, obviously other brands may vary, and MK are generally quite expensive anyway

One may end up with contacts welded together.
In the case of a fault current of several hundred amps, you mean? If so, yes, that's a possibility - but, as I said, not really any more likely with a '6A rated' switch than with a '20A rated' one (or even, come to that, a '50A rated' one).

As for an overload (as opposed to fault) current in excess of, say, 6A, as I implied, I just don't see how a light or light fitting could result in that, can you?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
MK standard switches are rated at 10A so that's marginally better than 6A, and they're only £1 each, and MK 20A switches are cheaper than their 13A FCU's, obviously other brands may vary, and MK are generally quite expensive anyway
Fair enough, but as I keep saying/asking, what is the perceived problem with a switch supplying just a a light having a 'rating' of 'only 6A' (or 10A) when it's protected by a 13A fuse ?

Kind Regards, John

I suppose it's down to following the MI's. If there's no max current specified, nobody can really argue, but if they say 6A max, and there is a problem, it's gonna come back and bite you (not so much the case for a DIYer though I guess)

I suppose it's down to following the MI's. If there's no max current specified, nobody can really argue, but if they say 6A max, and there is a problem, it's gonna come back and bite you (not so much the case for a DIYer though I guess)
If they say what is "6A max"? It presumably refers either to maximum breaking current or the maximum current that may pass through the switch. In either case, I just don't see how a light/fitting can result in a current remotely as high as 6A, regardless of what OPD may be protecting the circuit - can you? As I've said, fault currents are a totally different kettle of fish, and are going to be dozens of times higher than the 'rating' of any switch you would seriously contemplate installing for a light!

Kind Regards, John

If they say what is "6A max"? It presumably refers either to maximum breaking current or the maximum current that may pass through the switch. In either case, I just don't see how a light/fitting can result in a current remotely as high as 6A, regardless of what OPD may be protecting the circuit - can you? As I've said, fault currents are a totally different kettle of fish, and are going to be dozens of times higher than the 'rating' of any switch you would seriously contemplate installing for a light!
All true. I suppose it depends if there's going to be a hydroponic set up in the garage! I'm sure you'd soon get there! ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back