Outdoor Security Light - indoor switch wiring issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have an outdoor security light wired into the house lighting circuit.

I want a switch (situated indoors) to control whether the security light has power or not.
Basically i don't want the light used while i'm here, just want to switch it on when on holiday etc.

Here is where i've made the error. I cut the wire coming from the security light to the light circuit and put a normal indoor light switch in.

Now if i switch it on it fuses the house. What have i done wrong? Thought it seemed a bit too easy...

EXTRA - the wire comes from the security light to the outhouse where it goes directly to the light socket there.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
What cables did you have(colours and numbers of)
Likely you connected the neutral and phase across the switch, instead of using the phase to make and break the circuit and having the neutral continuous.
What fuses just trip, lighting circuit or all circuits?
Does the MCB or RCD trip?

Basically i don't want the light used while i'm here, just want to switch it on when on holiday etc.
A good way to let burglars know you are away, and considerate of you to provide light for them to work by.

What have i done wrong?
Basically deciding that not knowing how something works should in no way be a reason not to fiddle with it.

Apologies for the delay. Waited till light again so could switch the mains off and see how its wired up...
So the cable is black, red and bare. I used a one way light switch.

Thinking its just basics i got wrong...
Is it as simple as red wire going to light at bottom and red from main circuit goes top. Both black and bare wires just connect to each other (same coloured wires only of course) outside of the light switch? As its a plastic box will i need to earth it, how if so as its just a concrete wall?

Ha, always considerate to all. I always leave a good taxi firm out for them in case they get stuck with too much swag too!
basically sick of the local cat etc setting it off so want the ability to have it on or off.

Sponsored Links
Thinking its just basics i got wrong...
Is it as simple as red wire going to light at bottom and red from main circuit goes top. Both black and bare wires just connect to each other (same coloured wires only of course) outside of the light switch? As its a plastic box will i need to earth it, how if so as its just a concrete wall?
You have a simple one way switch, connect your red (live) (mains permanently live)
to com or L on the switch, connect red (live) going to the fitting at L1.
Will work other way around.
Then both blacks neutrals in to a terminal block connecting each other (not connected across switch)
Then your bare CPC/Earths need to be sleeved using yellow and green PVC sleeving and connected together in a terminal block.
The conductors live, neutral and earth can then be terminated at the light fittings in the appropriate corresponding terminals.
It's important that you keep the CPC/earth continuity as your external light may require one and if not, if you ever replaced it, the replacement may.
Also the CPC/earth is used to test for continuity of r1+r2 and also your Zs readings on the circuit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back