Country
United Kingdom
Replacing my old security light.
There are 4 wires that go into the new PIR security light
red
blue
earth
yellow I think this is connected to indoor switch

the connection in the light fitting are neutral earth live and l1.
I have tried the red and yellow both ways in live and L1 ,All that happens is that light stays on all the time.
For now i have taped the yellow wire and put red in live.Light works fine Except that the indoor switch doesn't work.
Can anyone help /advise me on how to connect the yellow wire so that it
will work on indoor switch.

Sponsored Links
I would imagine red in live, yellow in L1, and keep the switch you mention in the off position.

Be sure the power is completely off at the mains before doing any wiring work, and work safely.

After you have set up the controls on the new light, it will take a good while to settle down and for the light to remain off during the day.

Replacing my old security light.
There are 4 wires that go into the new PIR security light
red
blue
earth
yellow I think this is connected to indoor switch

the connection in the light fitting are neutral earth live and l1.
I have tried the red and yellow both ways in live and L1 ,All that happens is that light stays on all the time.
For now i have taped the yellow wire and put red in live.Light works fine Except that the indoor switch doesn't work.
Can anyone help /advise me on how to connect the yellow wire so that it
will work on indoor switch.

These are the colours for an old 2 way lighting circuit before they were changed to brown, grey, black and earth. I would disconnect everything, turn the power back on to the cable and test what each cable does. Very carefully of course!

There should be a perm live, probably the red, then one of the other cables should be controlled by the switch, and the other will be a neutral.

Red should go to live.
Switched live to L1
Neutral to Neutral
Earth to earth.

Note I am not a spark and this is at your own risk, but check the instructions that came with the light, you may not require to wire in all the terminals. The L1 may be a switched live from the light that allows you to switch another light on using the PIR on the light you have.

The Last PIR I wired up only had 4 terminal but the L1 was wired into the light it was operating. as the switch!

Edit: are there 2 switches that can operate this light...

Sponsored Links
The core colours could be anything, did you take a note of where they were positioned on the previous security lights?
Do you have any approved testing equipment, I suggest you do some continuity and voltage tests.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back