Security Light - Existing 2 gang switch wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Just joined and I hope you can help!

Just moved into a mid 90's house and trying to connect a new PI security light outside my kitchen door. There is a existing 2 gang switch already which controls the kitchen celling light and what will be the new security light. A 4 core cable already runs from the switch to outside the house at the new light location already. I don't believe a light was ever fitted outside - just the cabling.

I've put up a new light and wired it up using the yellow as the live, neutral and earth. I've terminated the red live in the light. Yellow is definitely the switched live in my house.

When I look into the switch and the existing wiring is as per my drawing below. What I need to know is where do I connect the yellow and red from the security light into the switch shown as question marks? I'm hoping its, red to L1 and yellow to L2 or something similar!

I've omitted earths from the plan as they are sorted already.

I've already put up another security light around the other side of my house using yellow as live but this was to a one gang switch so was easier.

Just want some clarity on this one please.

Many thanks in advance.

Jonny

//media.diynot.com/226000_225431_87595_64539951_thumb.jpg

Sponsored Links
You put the red in a connector block.

And put the yellow in L1.

If the switch 'works upside down', remove the yellow from L1 and put in L2 instead.

Amazed the cable wasn't connected into the switch when the place was built.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back