new lights to existing 2 gang switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I will explain what have done so far . I have installed 2 new led lights in the garage to go alongside the original batten already in there . There is a switch either side of the garage for the original light obviously a 2 way configuration however I connected my new lights to the existing switch BUT the existing switch has red blue and yellow , I have red black and earth so I did re/red, blue/black, and earth to yellow they work but are on when the switch is off and off when the switch is on and the original light also works in reverse order! I have looked at a wiring diagram on the site but just cant get my head round it . I would like to use the "spare" switch but obviously need to to add some internal wires but not sure from where to where ie com, l1 l2 etc . Could someone just explain in simple terms which wires go where also you will notice form the pictures that the original earth wire is not connected to anything , maybe this has something to do with it being a two way switch? If someone can help it would be much appreciated . I have put extra sockets in etc but that was straight forward red/red ,black/black and earth to earth no problem its the yellow that has foiled me (i think) If you want to know anything else please ask I have enclosed some pictures for what I hope is clarity.

Read more: https://www.diynot.com/diy/conversa...o-existing-2-gang-switch.35721/#ixzz6lEnfA3Q6

Sponsored Links
Likely red, yellow and blue are all line wires, bare copper likely earth.
There are two ways to wire a two way switch, but this is the most common.
two-way-real.jpg
The wire colours can be brown, black, grey, red, yellow, or blue, it is just that people use cable with three phase colours, in theory they should all have sleeves to show if line or neutral but often they don't.

So often the only place you can get both line and neutral is the light, often there is no neutral at the switch.

Green was the colour for earth, but this was changed to green/yellow, but yellow has always been a phase colour.

Hi EFL
I am so jealous , you are in Portugal I usually am there this time of year but covid intervened i am usually near tavira anyway I digress, The pictures ended up in the "media" folder no 569,570, and 571. I DID connect the new lights to the existing switch BUT as soon as I swithed on the breaker they were on and when I switched then on using the switch they went off and the orignal batten came on. I wired them into the same colours as were already there but obviously that was my mistake . Now I decided to use the spare switch and use wires to connect switch 1 but not sure which wires go where. I agree it is difficult explaining something as to seeing it but I am trying the best I can lol

Sponsored Links
I am so jealous , you are in Portugal I usually am there this time of year but covid intervened i am usually near tavira anyway I digress,
:) Don't fret. The weather has been unusually overcast for a few weeks. All the British storms have been a bit farther South than they should be. :(

The pictures ended up in the "media" folder no 569,570, and 571.
I see them now.

I DID connect the new lights to the existing switch
Yes, but that was the point.

You should connect them to the same terminals as the existing light - at the light.

Ah I see (i think) I will have a look in the morning however if the terminals in the light are red blue and yellow and I have red black and earth BUT I will give it a go tomorrow and let you know how I get on> I was just trying to utilise the spare switch . I am fretting though as it is usually 8 to 10 degrees warmer than here and its been really cold of late like 2 and 3 degrees! anyway thanks for the input .

Hi EFL
well I did what you suggested and after much cursing )there was another set of wires going into it with the reds just terminated into a chock block followed the colours and ..................they came on without me switching anything on so after pratting around another hour and getting nowhere I put everything back as it was and put a plug on the end ! now all working I think the moral of the story is stick to something easy lol Its been snowing again here so enjoy life in Portugal lol
cheers

(y)

Ok, but it doesn't matter how complicated it looks,

you just connect the new light to the same terminals as the old light

and ignore all the other terminals.

upload_2021-2-2_16-53-18.png

Hi Impudance,
Thank you for the detailed drawing but do I see a black wire in the same terminal as a red? that is the bit that confuses me lol. I have the same problem with a new security light I fitted it works fine but the other one stays on and yes there were 2 sets of wires coming out of the wall (at least they were red , black and earth) but someone suggested I put one of the blacks in with a red that's when I stopped lol. like I mentioned before I taken spurs off existing sockets no problem but this project beat me so I resorted to fitting a plug and just switch them on when required . I dont like being beat but sometimes you have to give in gracefully lol

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back