LV lights - 2 gang 2 way switch problem.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

I am currently trying to connect a set of 3 LV halogen bulbs in my kitchen.

Having removed original light fitting and getting into the loft I have no idea which wire goes where!

I'll try and explain my predicament.

I have a 2 gang 2 way light switch which controls both an outside light and the lights im trying to fit... in the loft there are 3 wires, the one coming from the switch which has Red, Blue, Yellow and Earth... then one that comes from the outside light with black, red and neutral and then the mains wire which has red, black and earth.

The LV transformer has space for two wires but which two go in it ensuring that the switchs work? and which ones do I need to connect together?

This is the 2nd set ive installed but the first set was really straightforward and there was only 3 wires!!

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
It's a shame you didn't note what went where before disconnecting.

Almost certainly the 3-core+e that goes to the switch has permanent live and 2 switched lives, one for the kitchen light and one for the outside light.

If you look at the switch it'll be obvious which is which.

You'll need a 6-terminal junction box (5 will do, but I don't think they make those):

1. Circuit live and permanent live to switch
  2. Switched live for kitchen light
  3. Switched live for outside light
  4. Circuit neutral and neutrals for kitchen light and outside light
  5. Earth

One thing worries me:
one that comes from the outside light with black, red and neutral
I hope you meant black, red and earth...

This is the 2nd set ive installed but the first set was really straightforward and there was only 3 wires!!

Thanks in advance.
What did you do with the earth in that case, if the transformer only has L&N?

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, i meant Black, Red and Earth...

The instruction on the other set said it was self earthing and that if there was an earth cable to insulate it and make sure it was kept clear.

As I pulled the cables through the ceiling, they all came apart, stupidly I didnt make a note before hand... hindsight is a wonderful thing.

So if I connect each individual wire to the JB which wires would go into the transformer? the remaining Black and red?

Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back