Help needed with 3 gang, 2 gang 2 way switching

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Any help with this would be appreciated. The father in law was doing some decorating while i was away and have come back to some weird wiring issues.

I have a 3 gang two way switch unit downstairs which usually controls outside light, hall light and landing light. I also have a 2 gang two way switch upstairs which controls landing light and hall light. The long and short of it is that whilst these are working they are not working as they should and I feel they may be wired incorrectly. Currently they are wired up as....

2 gang 2 way switch

a1 - yellow, red switch main
a2 - blue (red sheathed), black red sheathed switch main
acom - red

b1 yellow
b2 - blue (red sheathed)
bcom - red

3 gang 2 way switch

a1 - yellow
a2 blue (red sheathed)
com - red

b1 - yellow
b2 blue (red sheathed)
bcom - red

c1 - yellow
c2 blue (red sheathed)
ccom - red

switch c on should control the outside light but is not working at all.

I also have a red bridging wire which he says was on the old 3 gang switch but is not sure where on switch it was.

I am ready to call for a sparky but wanted to put this out to your combined wisdom first.

many thanks

Al

Sponsored Links
I would call your spark to be honest mate. It is difficult to diagnose your problem with out being there with a meter in hand. :confused:

okay many thanks, just thought I would throw the issue out to check before forking out by oh well. Just the briding wire that is the most confusing. Cheers anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back