2 Gang switch wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m trying to wire a new 2 gang switch, the old one is wired as follows:
3 red wires coming into socket, one goes to ACom, one goes to A1 and one goes to B1
there is one short red wire linking A1 to BCom.
two black wires are joined together in the switch box and earth wire goes to earth.

how should this be wired in a new 2 gang switch which uses L1 L2 and Com

thanks

Sponsored Links
Diagrams of both now
83FB86F3-D6B3-4129-8B57-9CF1294397FE.jpeg
010FB525-2B02-44A0-AD23-20B5D589A2BD.jpeg

I’m trying to wire a new 2 gang switch, the old one is wired as follows:
3 red wires coming into socket, one goes to ACom, one goes to A1 and one goes to B1
there is one short red wire linking A1 to BCom.
two black wires are joined together in the switch box and earth wire goes to earth.

how should this be wired in a new 2 gang switch which uses L1 L2 and Com

thanks

Treat the L1s as A1 and B1.

In the lower part of image number 2, the long red is the permanent live in to the switch (com), that then runs in to the other side of the switch (again com). The upper long red wires are the switched supplies to the ceiling rose. In reality, it doesn't matter if you connect them to L1 or L2, so long as you make sure that they go into different terminals either side of the 2 gang switch.

It is important you use the earth terminal on the new switch, either move the existing wires from the current location or better still add a link between the current earth terminal and this new one.
1689430946400.png

If by any chance the new switch works upside down then use A2 instead of A1 and/or B2 instead of B1 to correct it.
Make sure power is off before doing any wiring.

Think of them as 2 triangles
1689431557555.png

Sponsored Links
so, I swapped the switches over as per the diagram provided above and with the light switches in the off position, one of the lights is on and the other offer! They both switch on and off fine but I’m unsure which wire to change so they are both off when in the off position. IVe checked I wired as per the above. Any ideas?

It is important you use the earth terminal on the new switch, either move the existing wires from the current location or better still add a link between the current earth terminal and this new one.View attachment 308321

If by any chance the new switch works upside down then use A2 instead of A1 and/or B2 instead of B1 to correct it.
Make sure power is off before doing any wiring.

Think of them as 2 triangles
View attachment 308323
so, I swapped the switches over as per the diagram provided above and with the light switches in the off position, one of the lights is on and the other offer! They both switch on and off fine but I’m unsure which wire to change so they are both off when in the off position. IVe checked I wired as per the above. Any ideas?
Ignore that I’ve sorted it by moving one of the cables into L2 instead of L1

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back