triple gang 2 way switch problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all,(first post)

im currently in the middle of changing all my sockets/switches ect ect in the house i bought, and am having trouble with some of the wiring(ie, its years old)

ive replaced a fair bit of it but when i have come to change a switch upstairs, i am totally baffled by the old switch

the old switch has the following layout:

A1 -
A2 - Grey(red wire inside)
Boom - Black(seriously, thats what it says)
C1 -
C2 - Grey(red wire inside)

ACOM - Red
B1 - Yellow
B2 - Blue
CCOM - Red

the ACOM and the CCOM is joined up with a black wire also

can anyone tell me how i would those wires up to a new switch with the layout:

L1, L2, L1, L2, L1, L2
COM COM COM

any help would be much appreciated

Sponsored Links
dear oh dear oh dear

upon closer inspection, it appears that it doesnt say boom, but rather BCOM

*gets coat and leaves

hhhmmmmm, wired it up as i thought it should work but no luck

On your new switch, each COM has an L1 and an L2 associated with it. Typically, the three will form a triangle and they will be contained within an imaginary rectangle that also contains the switch rocker. If you can work this out, the rest is easy.

For ACOM read one of the new COM's. For A1 and A2 read the L1 and L2 that go with that COM. That's one whole switch sorted out. Repeat for the other two. :) :) :)

PS: When you put it all back together, you might find that one or more of your new switches works upside down. :eek: :eek: :eek: If you're bothered by this, swap the wires between L1 and L2 on the offending switch. :) :) :)

PPS: Make a carefull drawing of all the wires in the old switch (if you haven't already done this) and KEEP IT until you're satisfied that the new switch works properly. :idea: :idea: :idea:

Sponsored Links
cheers mate, i figured it out in the end and the switch is working fine

when i come to decorate ill be rewiring the switches in any case, its just the pan lids broke one of the switches off so it just a temp measure for now

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back