2 Gang 2 Way /3 Gang 2 Way Light Switch Replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, I am just wondering if any of you can help me with the replacement of my light switches. I have 2 switches to replace and the wiring inside the switch being removed is different from the new switch I wish to install.

2 Gang 2 Way
In the old switch it refers to A, B1, B2, A1, A2 and B. In the new switch it instead refers to L, L1 and L2 for which there are two of these.

2 Gang 3 Way
In the old switch it refers to A1, A2, B Com, C1, C2, A Com, B1 B2 and C Com. In the new switch it instead refers to L, L1 and L2 for which there are three of these.

Is anyone able to help advise me which wires go into which from the old to the new?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
You need to study the switches carefully, and realise each individual switch consists of three terminals.

Where you have listed letters, the same letter is for each separate switch.

For example, one individual switch may consist of A, A1 and A2.

Or another make, one individual switch may consist of A common, A1 and A2.

Or another make, L1, L2 and L3.

On the 2 gang
A = L
A1 = L1
A2 = L2

On the 3 gang
A com = L
A1 = L1
A2 = L2

Similar code for the 'B's and 'C's.

Sponsored Links
Plan B:

1. Actually learn how switches work, what they do, how lighting circuits are wired, what happens inside a switch in relation to its various terminals when you flip the rocker one way and another.
  2. Use your multimeter (an absolutely essential tool, without which you should do nothing) to identify which terminals are which.
  3. Replace your switches on the basis of having a full and genuine understanding of what's going on, not on the basis of following instructions to insert-this-wire-in-that-hole without knowing why.

Thank you sparkwright and dingodeano for your considered response/help on this. I just needed confirmation I was wiring to correct terminals from old style lettering.

Ban-all-sheds, rather condescending response I think! For a simple job such as replacement light sockets, I don't think it is necessary to undertake an electrical course and expedite myself as a professional. I would rather leave that to you. This was a straightforward job which required some very simple guidance/reassurance.

Thanks to you all for taking time out to post a reply to my original query.

Good day.

What is a light socket? Surely that is what you PLUG the lamp into?
I think you you mean light SWITCH?

Maybe you do need BAS's learning materials!

Ban-all-sheds, rather condescending response I think!
Then your thinking is faulty.

It was not in the slightest bit condescending - it was perfectly sound and utterly appropriate advice.

Nobody should do any electrical work without a full and genuine understanding.

For a simple job such as replacement light sockets, I don't think it is necessary to undertake an electrical course and expedite myself as a professional.
To do that job it is absolutely essential to know what switches do, and how they are used in lighting circuits.

This was a straightforward job which required some very simple guidance/reassurance.
It clearly wasn't straightforward for you, though, was it?

And you got the guidance you needed:

1. Actually learn how switches work, what they do, how lighting circuits are wired, what happens inside a switch in relation to its various terminals when you flip the rocker one way and another.
  2. Use your multimeter (an absolutely essential tool, without which you should do nothing) to identify which terminals are which.
  3. Replace your switches on the basis of having a full and genuine understanding of what's going on, not on the basis of following instructions to insert-this-wire-in-that-hole without knowing why.

The one that says I believe people should understand the things they wish to fiddle with?

I'll give you an update - it isn't broken.

If you think it's OK for people to fiddle with things when they don't understand what they are doing then it is your thinking which is broken.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back