can i add a 12v downlight to a ceiling rose

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i have a a 220v light fitting, holding 3 r80 60w lights, switched from the wall.
id like to add a reading/task light, like a 12v recessed spotlight to the ceiling.

can i wire this direct from the ceiling rose by adding a transformer. so that the same wall switch operates both the 220v and 12v lights?

can i add a pull cord switch to the new run, so as long as the main 220 lights are on i can turn the 12v on or off with the pull cord?

can i add a remote control light switch instead off the pull cord switch to the new 12v run to have the same setup? (control both from wall and control 12v with remote so long as 220v is on).

Sponsored Links
can i wire this direct from the ceiling rose by adding a transformer. so that the same wall switch operates both the 220v and 12v lights?
Yes.

can i add a pull cord switch to the new run, so as long as the main 220 lights are on i can turn the 12v on or off with the pull cord?
Yes

can i add a remote control light switch instead off the pull cord switch to the new 12v run to have the same setup? (control both from wall and control 12v with remote so long as 220v is on).
Yes.

But with #2 & #3, wouldn't it be better if the new light was independently switched, so that you don't have to have the main lights on for it to work?

thanks for sharing your knowledge ban-all-sheds.
the 12v light will never really need to be used unless the main light is on, (its for extra lighting for a relative with poor vision, basically like a reading table lamp only installed high enough so as not to show a reflection in the tv.) i was looking for a simple-install solution that would allow for one master wall switch to turn off the both lights at night. i dont want to have to go routing a new wire to the switch (never having done it before).
is there another non-wall-routing solution? ( i guess i could use 2 switches at night. the wall switch and the r/c to the 12v light)

have i any dimmer options with the my unorthodox plan?
(1)can i add a dimmer to the new 12v run (with an r/c dimmer switch)?
(2)can i change the wall switch to a dimmer switch (to dim both lights) and also have dimmer(1)above (to further dim the 12v)?

sorry for all the questions, im a good diy-er but have deliberately neglected learning about electrics because of the obvious dangers involved of being over-confident.

Sponsored Links
is there another non-wall-routing solution? ( i guess i could use 2 switches at night. the wall switch and the r/c to the 12v light)
There may be - I can't say if there are any suitable lights with built-in remote control, i.e. where you wouldn't still need to install a separate receiver module and cable it to the light.

have i any dimmer options with the my unorthodox plan?
(1)can i add a dimmer to the new 12v run (with an r/c dimmer switch)?
Yes, but again that would probably require you to install and cable to the receiver module.

(2)can i change the wall switch to a dimmer switch (to dim both lights)
Yes.

With both of these you would need to ensure that the 12V light was suitable for dimming, and that the dimmer switch was OK to use with 12V lighting, and that you have the right match of type of dimming (leading edge or trailing edge) between the switch and the light.

and also have dimmer(1)above (to further dim the 12v)?
No - you can't have 2 in series.

sorry for all the questions, im a good diy-er but have deliberately neglected learning about electrics because of the obvious dangers involved of being over-confident.
This is a reasonably simple project on which to start learning, but you're introducing complications by wanting separate switching/dimming without cutting any new channels in the wall. You might be able to replace your existing switch cable with a 3-core+earth, and thus be able to get this, or you might need to put your other good DIY skills to work and bash at the walls....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back