Bathroom lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to fit 12V downlights in my bathroom, on the same circuit I want to add plinth lights in the bath panel. The plinth lights come with a mains plug though :( . I also want them both to be controlled by a ceiling mounted occupancy switch :?:
Please help

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Well you could in theory connect them in outside the zones, which if you have a bath panel that a tool will be needed to access the underneath of it, will then be outside zone.
Some logical thought should be processed though, when making this connection. As the plug can not be used, I would use suitable IP rated outlet to hard wire with, and RCD protection on circuit.

I was thinking of putting the transformer for the plinth lights in the loft and running the cable down to under the bath?

I was thinking of putting the transformer for the plinth lights in the loft and running the cable down to under the bath?
That might be a problem since most transformers have a max limit on the length of the cable between the transformer and the light - sometimes max is 500mm sometimes even less. The transformer manufacturer's instructions should advise on the max length.

is it still possible to hard wire the plinth lights into the lighting circuit so both them and the downlights are operated by the occupancy switch?

is it still possible to hard wire the plinth lights into the lighting circuit so both them and the downlights are operated by the occupancy switch?
Yes but you would have to bring the switch live, neutral and earth to say an IP rated junction box under the bath and then connect the transformers to that and the lights.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back