LED Plinth Lighting Strips

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

New kitchen being fitted next week and I'd like some advice on plinth lighting options please.

I'm looking at something like this which would come with a 24v transformer on the plug. My problem is how to control it as I don't really want to be switching the plug on and off all the time. I like the idea of a PIR/occupancy detector that would trigger as someone walks into the kitchen. However, I can't see any that would fit the bill. I would have thought it would need to go inline between the LED and the plug. In an ideal world, I will mount the PIR on the ceiling and it will control the LED plinth lights. Is there a way to do this?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
I have the same things. I have them plugged into a radio receiver socket, then into a power socket under the plinth. The remote is velcroed under the upper plinth ie the plinth under the upper cabinets. It's outta sight. Works a treat. You should get the remote sockets for about a tenner for 3.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/1418...rlsatarget=pla-131843277906&adtype=pla&crdt=0

Ok £13 ish, but simpler than using sensors.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
If you want a ceiling sensor (and/or a normal switch) then you are going to have to go into the ceiling - so wire it from the lighting circuit to, if necessary if it is a plug-in power supply, a socket under the plinth.

Some will cry boo but if it is not used for anything else then it's fine to have a socket for this purpose on the lighting.

Or, buy an LED driver that does not come with a plug, and then you can wire it directly into the lighting circuit from the off.

You can then have the PIR wherever you want, the driver can live behind the plinth should it ever fail.

My current flat (rented) has undercab lights made up of LED strip, there's 3 separate sections, and 3 FCUs to turn them on. SO ANNOYING. Don't do it like that!

Sponsored Links
My problem is how to control it as I don't really want to be switching the plug on and off all the time.
Do you mind switching the ceiling lights on and off all the time?

Have the socket controlled by a switch on the wall, would be the easiest thing. Even easier and better if you don't choose a wall-wart power supply.

I like the idea of a PIR/occupancy detector that would trigger as someone walks into the kitchen.
Generally only people who've never lived with one like the idea of one. Everyone else finds that they are driven mad by them, as they need movement to trigger them.

I would have thought it would need to go inline between the LED and the plug.
No - it will go before the socket.

In an ideal world, I will mount the PIR on the ceiling and it will control the LED plinth lights. Is there a way to do this?
Yes - you have the PIR switch the socket. Would need the socket to be on the lighting circuit, or if not, spurred probably via a contactor which the PIR controls.

Seriously - get a power supply with a flying lead, and use an ordinary light switch.

I have the same things. I have them plugged into a radio receiver socket, then into a power socket under the plinth. The remote is velcroed under the upper plinth ie the plinth under the upper cabinets. It's outta sight. Works a treat. You should get the remote sockets for about a tenner for 3.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/1418...rlsatarget=pla-131843277906&adtype=pla&crdt=0

Ok £13 ish, but simpler than using sensors.

OK - so you have to switch the lights on, albeit via a remote? I can achieve that easily enough with an LED kit... That's not quite what I'm looking for...

Or, buy an LED driver that does not come with a plug, and then you can wire it directly into the lighting circuit from the off.

You can then have the PIR wherever you want, the driver can live behind the plinth should it ever fail.

My current flat (rented) has undercab lights made up of LED strip, there's 3 separate sections, and 3 FCUs to turn them on. SO ANNOYING. Don't do it like that!

Yes, but I can't go into the lighting circuit now.... All lovely new plaster (yes I've left this a bit late, hence the specific requirement of a system that runs from a plug...)....

I can go into the ceiling enough to install a PIR and then pull the cable to the plug - but that's it....

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
I guess I shouldn't be surprised to learn that you are the sort of person ho has been told that before.

Maybe one day it will sink in.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised to learn that you are the sort of person ho has been told that before.

Maybe one day it will sink in.

Are you for real? Did I request a lecture from a patronising know-it-all in my OP? No, I don't think I did.

No you didn't request one.

But you clearly need the lesson.

Feel free to think about things properly next time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back