LED plinth lights, started flashing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning
This time lst year I installed a set of Wickes LED plinth lights into my kitchen plinths.
They worked fine for about 6 months.
Now when I put them on they stay on for about 5 minutes then start flashing so I have to switch them off.

They are plugged into the transformer they came with, which is plugged into a socket behind the plinths which is turned on at the wall on a spur.

Has anybody got any ideas what this could be down to.
They are relatively new, but I don't have the receipt and don't really want to rip them all out.

Thanks
Chris

Sponsored Links
This time lst year I installed a set of Wickes LED plinth lights into my kitchen plinths.
They worked fine for about 6 months.
Now when I put them on they stay on for about 5 minutes then start flashing so I have to switch them off.
So you've put up with this fault for about 6 months?

They are relatively new, but I don't have the receipt
:rolleyes: You knew when you bought them that you would need the receipt if the went wrong after a year or two. If they obviously came from Wickes, e.g. has their name on, speak nicely to them - they might be helpful.

and don't really want to rip them all out.
It probably is the power supply, so you're going to have to remove the plinth to get to it.

It won't be a transformer though. It will be some form of switch mode power supply. Probably 12v DC (need to check the label). Easily replaceable if so.

Sponsored Links
I haven't put up with it, I've just not used them over Summer, been too busy to sort unfortunaely.

I kept the receipt for a while, but can't find it now.

I'll check everythings plugged in OK under the plinth, but I don't understand how they can work fine for 5 minutes then just start flashing.

Thanks for your idea though

Really?
The transformer is just under the kitchen cupboards behind the plinth.
Surely that's where they're supposed to go.

Thanks though

It may be overheating due to a defective component, but it could be anything. Unless you're going to take it apart and start bench-testing - I wouldn't worry about it.

I have seen exactly the same with PC power supplies and digi-box power supplies they all worked A1 to start with then some safety feature started to turn them off. Could be heat or just the components in the auto shut down drifted but cure is the same new power supply.

In the main be it a AC or DC output they are switch mode and even if you could get into them fault finding is a nightmare so it is replacement. There are loads of name tags from electronic transformer to driver but what is important is voltage if AC or DC and current rating. Read the old one and post details and likely some one will advise on replacement or simple go to Wickes.

On the other hand, it could be that one of the LEDs has developed a short, so the driver is shutting down on overcurrent then resetting.
Talk to Wickes, they're usually helpful.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back