Recommendations for LED plinth lights in zone 1?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an LED driver already and LED tape for my niche and I wanted to add in some plinth lights.

I just need the plinth lights to wire in to my existing bathroom circuit and pass part P.

All the IP65+ rated ones (which even say suitable for bathroom) have a plug on them.

Can anyone recommend low cost plinth lights (30mm ish) I can wire in to my existing driver or come with an inline driver instead of the line lump and UK plug?

Sponsored Links
Assuming your existing driver has sufficient output could you not just remove the plug type wall wort from your plinth lights and wire them to your existing driver?

Sponsored Links
Assuming your existing driver has sufficient output could you not just remove the plug type wall wort from your plinth lights and wire them to your existing driver?

That's what I was thinking. Everything is 12v and enough watts.
Seems strange you can't but them without power supply but as long as their is no reason to use their supply I'll go with that.

Thanks

Seems strange you can't but them without power supply

You can buy tape by itself without a "driver" and then supply it from a 12 volt DC power supply. This could be a battery or a mains powered 12 volt DC power supply.

The word "driver" is technically the wrong word to describe the power supply for LED strips (tapes ).

A driver controls the current that is driven through the LED elements. The output voltage of the driver is that which the driver determines is necessary to driver the required current through the LED element(s) in the lamp. Most LED lamps have a driver built into them.

LED strips use a resistor to control the current and require a 12 volt DC supply (*) for the resistor to allow the correct amount of current to flow through the LED elements. Each section of strip has 3 LED elements and one resistor. The LED strips can be dimmed by reducing the supply voltage.

(*) Some DC supplies are labelled as 12 V (eff) , the voltage from these averages out at 12 volts but can ( often does ) have a series of high fequency pulses of higher and lower voltages that average out as 12 volts. The LED strips supplied with a pulsing voltage will created pulses of light.

I just need the plinth lights to wire in to my existing bathroom circuit and pass part P.
Not sure what that means, but -

The Building Regulation Part P merely states:
upload_2018-5-15_12-17-20-png.141805

That's it. That's all it states. There is no more.
It applies to ALL electrical work where it applies.

A different Building Regulation - 12, 6 - states that some electrical work (different in Wales) is notifiable to the Local authority.
View attachment 141806
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2012/3119/regulation/6/made

The work you are contemplating falls under one of those rules - 6A(c) - so you must do as Flameport has told you.

Either notify before you start or employ a registered electrician.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back