Fitting Plinth Lights in a new build Bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am reaplcing the bathroom in a new build property and have decided to fit a run of LED plinth lights to teh bath panel and the furniture plinths next to it.

I was planning on extending the cable from my overhead ceiling spots (as the cable runs down into the bath head box for an alcove spot), but that means that the LED lights only switch on when all the ceiling spots are on, would prefer to leave on when spots off.

To wire a new separate light circuit, switched from outside bathroom door also seems excessive for 10 LEDS.

Anyone any advice on how LED plinth lights can eb switched on and off - I beleive the lights will be ZONE 0 as wiring in bath panel and plinth, Mains to Transformer could also be in Zone 0 (under bath), so any separate switch perhaps could be on low voltage side of transformer, but that means transformer on 24/7.

Sponsored Links
You could use air operated switches with all the LV ( 230 volt ) equipment out of the bath room.

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/c/?searchTerm=air+operated+switch&sra=oss&r=t

Only ELV ( less than 50 volts ) enters the bath area.

Ensure the transformer has adequate isolation between the 230 v and the ELV. Some electronic transformers / LED drivers have only the minimum isolation which may become bridged in the event of the transformer becoming faulty.. LEDs go out but the wiring is now hazardous.

Thats a good idea, a bit like the pneumatic switch that is used to turn the Spa Pump on and off. Got me thinking about alternatvie switches. I suppose I could leave the lights wired to the permenantly live Spa spur (well except for the isolation switch) and then wire in some sort of nice looking PIR. If someone is ion the bathroom, or the bath is hot, plinth lights come on. Have not had room tiled yet so can hide wires in wall.
Any ideas how to wire a PIR to switch a 10 light LED plinth light transformer?

Any ideas how to wire a PIR to switch a 10 light LED plinth light transformer?
Several. but it has to be a PIR that requires Live and Neutral supply and has a relay contact for switching the the switched live to the lamp. The PIRs that replace existing switches do not have a neutral and rely on a trickle of current through the lamp to power the PIR sensor. That trickle is enough to keep LEDs glowing dimly or flashing ( depending on the LED driver module ).

Sponsored Links
So what I want is a PIR sensor with a built in load switch that can control on/off power to the LED transformer/Driver unit - discretely mounted to turn on when someone enters the Bathroom and stay on whilst in the bathrrom/in the bath and perhaps turn off within a set amout of time after the bathroom vacated.

Ideally the tranformer would be located under the bath and drive the plinth lights set into the bath side panel and BTW furniture plinth, with the wires to a PIR sensor going off to a reasonably unobtrusive location.

So just have to find a small, unobtrusive PIR that fits the bill

I am reaplcing the bathroom in a new build property and have decided to fit a run of LED plinth lights to teh bath panel and the furniture plinths next to it.
Are you aware that if you're in England or Wales you'll probably need to apply for Building Regulations approval first?

Have not had room tiled yet so can hide wires in wall.
By the sounds of it you may not do that. //www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:walls

So what I want is a PIR sensor with a built in load switch that can control on/off power to the LED transformer/Driver unit - discretely mounted to turn on when someone enters the Bathroom and stay on whilst in the bathrrom/in the bath
AFAIK such PIRs do not exist - you can only get the sort which will go off even when there is someone still in there.

Re building regs, I understand that Notification is not required per se. I had a word with local council, especially as I am wiring in my own SPA. The local council charge £150 to 'inspect' the installation. They have never received a request and don't expect to, esepcialyl as he gave me the contact number for a Part P qualified local Elecrician who will turn up and inspect for £30.

For the Spa bath the spark for the builder is leaving me a loose wire spur under the bath, from a FSU above the Bathroom door, off an RCD protected circuit, terminated with a IP65 junction box. All I need to do, if I feel morally obliged, is get the £30 inspection that I have inserted the Spa pump wire into the junction box grommet correctly (and it is techncialy a zone 0 as under the bath).

For the PIR, i would probably runa wire under the bath to the bath head box section and run up the inside of the corner of the box (150mm from wall) to an unobtrusive wall/ceiling mounted PIR in the corner above the corner of the bath. I do not have an over bath shower or screen, as I have separate Shower Cubicle in the bathroom.

Maybe as an Alterntive if i can get a nice looking PIR wall plate I can mount just next to the underfloor heating thermostat, which is just inside the bathroom door (again run from an external FSU), i can use the already insatlled conduit that goes to the floor for the cold tail and sensor wire to take a wire from PIR down to floor, across floor(under tiles) and up and into Transformer located under bath.

Or I can give up and buy some nice floating candles!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back