How to control plinth LEDs from light switch not socket?

I want a PIR switch, not to save energy, but so that if someone walks into the kitchen at night the LED lights automatically turn on, so the main lights don't have to be turned on.
Unless that someone has walked into the kitchen with the sole purpose of marvelling at the way the LEDs come on then they'll have to turn the main lights on anyway - the plinth ones will do nothing except gleam in the darkness. Useful illumination to see or do anything in the kitchen will be about zero.

True, if the PIR isn't in the correct position it wouldn't work effectively and would drive me mad.
It's not just the position, it's the fact that they all, always, turn off sooner or later even if you're still in the room.

Sponsored Links
Right. Make sure you have a permanent live and neutral at your switch. Link the permanent live over to terminal Common and put the neutral in a connector block. Run a 1.5mm twin&hearth cable from your light switch to an unswitched 3a fused spur behind your plynth.
Now, connect the live from the spur feed in side) into terminal L1 in your switch and the neutral join with the other neutral in a connector block. Switch now done.
Cut the plug off your led light set and connect that into the load side of the spur, while also connecting the switched live and neutral from the switch into the feed side of the spur. Plug your led lights into the main terminal base of the unit and watch the lights work.
Simples.

Evan, welcome to the forum.

But....

You will rapidly outstay your welcome if you reply to topics which are 6 years old. ;)

I know this is an old thread

Cut the plug off your led light set and connect that into the load side of the spur,

That will destroy the LED light set, the "plug" is a switched mode power unit producing an Extra Low Voltage ( may 12 volts ) for the light set. What Evan suggests will put 230 AC into the light set and that will destroy it.

Sponsored Links
I know this is an old thread

Cut the plug off your led light set and connect that into the load side of the spur,

That will destroy the LED light set, the "plug" is a switched mode power unit producing an Extra Low Voltage ( may 12 volts ) for the light set. What Evan suggests will put 230 AC into the light set and that will destroy it.

Not quite the impressive entrance to the forum that Evan hoped to make.....☺

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back