Best way to wire plinth and kitchen cabinet lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm wanting to to add plinth and under kitchen cabinet lighting to a kitchen ,I'm wanting to come off the kitchen light switch to power and control them both ,what's the best way to do this, the plinth lights are led and have a transformer. cheers

Sponsored Links
Depending on the wiring method of your house there may not be a neutral at the light switch which is required for the lights to work.
In that case you will need to find the permanent L and N for the lighting in the floor void above and find a route down to the plinth along with any switching requirements.

It will require a cable from (normally) the ceiling rose to both the new lighting and the switch position. Quite a lot of work if the kitchen is being refurbished and probably impossible if the kitchen is not.

More usual would be to take the supply for the new lighting from a kitchen socket through a Switched, Fused Connection Unit.

Also, I have fitted laminate splashback with adhesive. I prefer original Gripfill, never used Pink. It turned out very well.

I refited my kitchen a few years ago,we have one centre lgt plinth lgts (not yet fitted) and under cupboard lgts.

The 3 sets of lgts are fed from a 3gang switch, where I have the Live and Neutral in and then the Live and neutral out to the 3 sets of lgts

Sponsored Links
Depending on the wiring method of your house there may not be a neutral at the light switch which is required for the lights to work.
In that case you will need to find the permanent L and N for the lighting in the floor void above and find a route down to the plinth along with any switching requirements.

Hi the house was built in 1998 I think so the wiring should be fairly up to date

So if the kitchen light switch has a neutral then it should be able to work the new lights?

So if the kitchen light switch has a neutral then it should be able to work the new lights?

Yes - but you will obviously need an extra switch on the plate and loop the L feed to the new switch. The neutrals need to be joined through.

I refited my kitchen a few years ago,we have one centre lgt plinth lgts (not yet fitted) and under cupboard lgts.

The 3 sets of lgts are fed from a 3gang switch, where I have the Live and Neutral in and then the Live and neutral out to the 3 sets of lgts
That's not 5 unrelated typos - you did that on purpose.

Please stop.

I've looked behind kitchen light switch and there is a red wire in common and a black wire with small red sleeve over part of it connected to 2 way and an earth ..so no neutral so that's the end of coming off the main kitchen light switch I think.... If so I'm going to come off a socket with a 3amp spur , all my kitchen appliance sockets already have spurs on them apart from one ,this was fitted around 6 years ago by a gas fitter,when he took out my control unit for heating, he replaced it with a socket rather than close it up, it has 2 red together in one connection and 2 black together also an earth ,so would I be able swap it for a spur and run the plinth lights from that via a new light switch,I never use the socket at all as I've got plently of others so I would not mind losing it as a socket

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back